Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Cat Miscarriage? -Ot

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Ari
  • 9 Replies

I have a pregnant cat, I'm thinking around four or five weeks. Yesterday she was sitting in my lap panting and meowing at me. I pet her and she seemed to calm down, so I disregarded it. She jumped down, ran off and came back about five minutes later still panting. I walk across the living room to check her water dish and happen to glance over under one of Nicolai's toys. Blood. I walk closer and there is a dead kitten, not fully developed.

I called the vet and she told me that there was nothing that could be done, so to keep an eye on her in case she births more or is in distress. She seemed to still be laboring for a couple of hours, but then just stopped. She's fine today, too other than following me all over the place - which the vet said is normal for cats who are scared and attached to a particular person. She said she might have just "aborted" that one unhealthy baby and will go on to have more kittens in a couple of weeks. Or it could have just been that one. Or she could have more over the next couple of hours out of no where.

So anyways, does anyone have experience with anything like this? If so, what was the turn out?

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
baby7810
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:52 AM
That's interesting. GL
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM

we had one that had one litter it aborted and two litters that didn't survive more than a couple days...she's fixed and lives somewhere else now, but she was a stray who I had to earn it's trust.  However, when she had the "miscarriage" she delivered all 4 at once and two were very malformed and two were just too small to make it...

by the time you realize they are pregnant they are generally already 4-5 weeks (they won't "show" until then most of the time) and their pregnancy is only 9 weeks long

Dragonmamas
by Ari on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM

That's where I got the 4-5 weeks, because just three days ago I noticed her nipples got bright pink and elongated out of no where. Her fat belly I just assumed was from her being a little piggy kitty prior to the nipple changes.

She's still young, just turned one and she was for sure the runt of the litter (I have one of her sisters as well and she's almost double the size) so I wonder if she's just too young and too small to carry babies. Regardless, I'm gonna wait about four or five weeks to see if she has any more babies then another couple of weeks to get her fixed so she has some healing time.

Quoting emkirkley:

we had one that had one litter it aborted and two litters that didn't survive more than a couple days...she's fixed and lives somewhere else now, but she was a stray who I had to earn it's trust.  However, when she had the "miscarriage" she delivered all 4 at once and two were very malformed and two were just too small to make it...

by the time you realize they are pregnant they are generally already 4-5 weeks (they won't "show" until then most of the time) and their pregnancy is only 9 weeks long

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:01 AM

if she goes on and miscarries more, take her to the vet, they can be fertile again after only 6 days (how the stray kept getting pregnant, before I could grab her she'd run off and come back again pregnant)  If she has a litter and nurses then, give them away right at the 6 week mark and have her spayed immediately if you don't want more kittens, as soon as hers start to wean she'll likely go into heat again.

Quoting Dragonmamas:

That's where I got the 4-5 weeks, because just three days ago I noticed her nipples got bright pink and elongated out of no where. Her fat belly I just assumed was from her being a little piggy kitty prior to the nipple changes.

She's still young, just turned one and she was for sure the runt of the litter (I have one of her sisters as well and she's almost double the size) so I wonder if she's just too young and too small to carry babies. Regardless, I'm gonna wait about four or five weeks to see if she has any more babies then another couple of weeks to get her fixed so she has some healing time.

Quoting emkirkley:

expectantmom81
by Erin on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Never went through that. GL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganmommy4
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM

A cat pregnancy is around 65 days, heres a link for what you need to know: http://pets.webmd.com/cats/cat-pregnancy-gestation

abra
by Abra on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Quoting expectantmom81:

Never went through that. GL

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

kirstina
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:50 AM
Years ago the day after we moved into a new house a stray cat had a litter of kittens on our back porch on an Rubbermaid tote. They were dead. It was a nasty mess.
We had a small cat when I was a kid she had tons of kittens. Like 2-3 litters a year. Her kittens would grow up to be 2 times her size.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dragonmamas
by Ari on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:13 AM

:(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)