Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Formulas That Make A Baby Full??

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM
  • 38 Replies
My son is 7wks old today and must I say this little boy sure can eat. He drinks about 8-10oz each feeding. I also breastfeed him most of the time both Boobs each feeding I don't seem to be producing a lot of milk. This seems to not fill him up at all and I think this is too much for him to be drinking. We use similac as his formula, but is there a formula that helps him get full more?? I seen the one for spit-up that has rice starch in it but he doesn't spit-up a lot he keeps his formula down perrty good or would I have to talk to his pediatrician to c if starting him on rice cereal is the way to go??
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrimsonGrace
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Please don't give him rice cereal, he is way to young for solids! The best thing to do is feed on demand. The more you nurse the better your supply will be, formula is basically all the same. It is like comparing coke to Pepsi, it may have a different flavor, smell etc., but it is the same thing. Just keep doing what you are doing, he has most likely hit a growth spurt and it will slow down soon.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM
4 moms liked this

Good lord!   When did you begin supplementing, and what made you think you weren't producing enough?  

8-10oz is WAY WAY WAY too much in a sitting.  Look at his fist... that's roughly the size of his stomach.   Then, look at 10oz in a bottle.

randhferedinos
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM
He is definitely being overfed! If your milk supply is low you are hurting it further by supplementing, and with a huge amount. Put baby to breast and nurse, when he comes off one side, offer the next, and then back again if he is still rooting. Please do some research on feeding a breastfed baby!

Try looking at Kellymom.com for up to date info on infant feeding.
ohbamitsans
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:28 PM
My almost 3 month old is only drinking 5-6 oz o.O
ms.momo3
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this
7 weeks he is hitting a growth spurt. I agree with pp that you are hurting your supply and overfeeding. Are you wanting to exclusively bf or do you want to do both? Feed on demand. Is he just super fussy? How is his latch? Birth and most recent weights?
pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Oh God, you are over feeding that poor baby!
He doesn't act satisfied because his stomach is being stretched and he is in pain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mewebb82
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:43 PM

You are WAY overfeeding him. A breastfed baby shouldn't be getting more than 1 ounce per hour. A formula fed baby shouldn't be getting much more than that. A different formula isn't going to help. 

addiesmommy1109
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Oh wow my 8 month old eats about 7 oz in a feeding but she eats solids too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hismrsramirez86
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:03 PM
I think I said things wrong he seems to drink about 4oz each our so I figure that to be 8-10oz every two hours. I don't mean to over feed him at all. The last time I took care of a baby was 6yrs ago when I had my daughter, so I've kinda forgot how to do things. I'm wanting to make things better and not have him become bloated or over fed because of my mistake :(
abra
by Abra on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:13 PM

If I were you, I'd ask your pediatrician about it. Good luck!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)