Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Formulas That Make A Baby Full??

My son is 7wks old today and must I say this little boy sure can eat. He drinks about 8-10oz each feeding. I also breastfeed him most of the time both Boobs each feeding I don't seem to be producing a lot of milk. This seems to not fill him up at all and I think this is too much for him to be drinking. We use similac as his formula, but is there a formula that helps him get full more?? I seen the one for spit-up that has rice starch in it but he doesn't spit-up a lot he keeps his formula down perrty good or would I have to talk to his pediatrician to c if starting him on rice cereal is the way to go??
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Replies (21-30):
Monica_0812
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:50 PM
All babies are different and yes you doing the right thing feeding him on demand. I agree he's to little for solid food. You need to talk to his pedi asap. My son is 3 months and is taking 5-6 oz every 3-4 hrs. when my daughter was 3 months she could bearly eat 4 oz.

Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cynthje
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:05 PM

If you want to breastfeed why the formula to start? that is way too much for a child that young and the baby is way too young for solids. The baby is being overfed 

shjchica
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I'd talk to his pedi to find out how to fill him up more. You are over feeding him. My 5 almost 6 week old eats 3-4oz of formula every 3-4 hours. Even if she sleeps through feedings she still won't get any more then 4oz. If she still appears to be hungry I wait an hour or two and try just one more ounce. I'd agree with other PP's feed him on demand. The more you nurse him the more your supply will come in. I am formula feeding my little girl. I was breast feeding but it became VERY painful for me. Even meeting with a lactation consultant, she was latching well and proper, evidently I'm just beyond super sensitive and she has a super suction I guess. I couldn't see crying every time I fed her. Good luck mama!

louzannalady
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Your milk may take up to a week to come in. That's NOT a problem! I promise, you are making more than enough! Look at baby's eyeball... YEP! That's the size of your baby's stomach that first week! : ) It gets filled quickly and empties quickly, so LO will be hungry a lot, but that builds your supply. Also, you cannot tell if baby is full by how fussy they are. Remember, LO was swimming around in a nice warm place for nearly (or over) forty weeks and is just adjusting to being a land dweller- so expect him or her to always be squirming and fussing, it has nothing to do with your supply, they are just trying to adjust! How much you pump is NOT an accurate indication of supply. Your body was designed to respond to a baby, not a pump. : ) Average production for a pump for BOTH sides is anywhere from HALF an ounce to two and half ounces! All that said, how DO you tell if you are making enough for baby?! What goes in, must come out, right? ; ) So, we go by diaper count! Expect the diaper count to match the day (two diapers on day two, four on day four) the first week. Then, after one week, you are looking for 6-8 diapers a day (poop counts as two!). I hope this helps!

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

http://www.becomingmamas.com/what-our-primate-cousins-can-teach-us-about-breastfeeding/

http://www.llli.org/webus.html?gclid=CJO1-tvo6rQCFeuPPAodpAkA0g

http://www.thealphaparent.com/2011/12/timeline-of-breastfed-baby.html?m=1

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Your supply goes down because you are supplementing.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Please don't overfeed baby. Someone I know's baby is in the hospital for this reason and now needs surgery on his gut : (

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:05 PM
First why did you start using formula?

When did you start?

When you give formula do you pump?

How are you judging supply?

Birth weight, LOWEST weight, weight BEFORE supplements?

Do you want to breastfeed more or completely drop formula?

The best way to increase supply is nurse. Nurse on demand. If he's hungry every hour nurse him. Let him nurse on the first side until he unlatches or falls asleep. Burp then offer the other side. It's okay for him to nurse on one side per feeding. Count his diapers; he should go through 6+ a day. If he does supply is perfect.

Quoting hismrsramirez86:

My son is 7wks old today and must I say this little boy sure can eat. He drinks about 8-10oz each feeding. I also breastfeed him most of the time both Boobs each feeding I don't seem to be producing a lot of milk. This seems to not fill him up at all and I think this is too much for him to be drinking. We use similac as his formula, but is there a formula that helps him get full more?? I seen the one for spit-up that has rice starch in it but he doesn't spit-up a lot he keeps his formula down perrty good or would I have to talk to his pediatrician to c if starting him on rice cereal is the way to go??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahsmommy508
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:13 PM
wow my 12 month old barely drinks 8 oz
hismrsramirez86
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this
So after posting this post and reading all these comments I made the change to cut down on the ounces per feeding every 2hrs. I totally misinterpreted the signals that the baby was giving me, most of them were sleepy cries. I now feel much better with all the great advice given to me from u all that I can now distinguish when the baby is hungry or sleepy. As far as y I both breastfeed and formula feed is prior to leaving home from the hospital after giving birth the baby lost weight and I was instructed to formula feed and he was not latching on properly that my nipples bled bad and got swollen from him trying to feed. Sometimes they get swollen and hurt a lot that I can't breastfeed so I formula feed him. But thank u all for ur great help this will be a big change now and my poor baby won't have to suffer from his tummy :)
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting hismrsramirez86:

So after posting this post and reading all these comments I made the change to cut down on the ounces per feeding every 2hrs. I totally misinterpreted the signals that the baby was giving me, most of them were sleepy cries. I now feel much better with all the great advice given to me from u all that I can now distinguish when the baby is hungry or sleepy. As far as y I both breastfeed and formula feed is prior to leaving home from the hospital after giving birth the baby lost weight and I was instructed to formula feed and he was not latching on properly that my nipples bled bad and got swollen from him trying to feed. Sometimes they get swollen and hurt a lot that I can't breastfeed so I formula feed him. But thank u all for ur great help this will be a big change now and my poor baby won't have to suffer from his tummy :)

Weight loss is normal and expected.   Have you had your latch checked out?   It sounds as if he's still not latching properly (which is to be expected since he's also been getting bottles).   If you want to exclusively breastfeed, you can.   I'd get the latch looked at and then start weaning down the formula until it's gone.   If you're fine with using formula (and the very high possibility that you will be exclusively formula feeding sooner, rather than later), then what you're doing is fine.   You just need to decide what it is that you want and what will work for you.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)