Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just turned 3 months yesterday and is congested today

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:29 AM
  • 8 Replies

DD #2 just turned 3 months yesterday on Valentine's Day. Well, it is currently 1:27am, and she woke me up to eat at 1:00. I noticed she was really congested, and I did try to suck her nose out some with the aspirator, but she still seems congested. She is also sneezing, and coughing a little. Should I call her doc and get her in to make sure it isn't anything serious? What can I do in the meantime to relieve her stuffy nose? She sounds like she's having a slightly hard time breathing :( also, my stepdad and mom were just recently sick with a case of the flu, could she have possibly caught it? TIA! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
youngmom16
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:50 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauratupper
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:07 AM

It is possbile she caught the flu, watch for a fever, I wouldn't take her unless she starts running one. In the mean time, use saline spray and maybe try steaming up the bathroom and sitting with her just in the bathroom, the steam will help clear it up some.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:53 AM

The nose sucker will cause her nose to swell and make breathing difficult, so be cautious in using it too much.  Squirt her lil nose with saline nose spray!  It will kill any bacteria in there as well as flush out the boogies.  

For the cough.....you can steam her in the bathroom (around 20min or so).  I usually feed while steaming.  Then let her breathe in the cold air from outside or the freezer for just a minute or two.  
Make sure you have a COOL mist humidifier running in her room.  It will keep the air damp and easier to breathe.  If you have a small heater running, try not to run it too often b/c that will dry out the air.

You can also use Johnson & Johnson Vapor Bath or the Vick's Baby Rub on chest and feet at night.  

No need to rush to pedi unless there is a fever of over 101 OR there is a barky seal like cough.  If the cough is productive (wet and congested) that is good and doing what its suppose to, and if its just a dry cough still not to worry just yet.

There is NOTHING that can be done for colds or the flu except to keep the child comfy and wait it out.  It can last for 5-15days.  :(  Its no fun!  Just keep an eye on her.  IF symptoms worsen take to pedi immediately.  Drainage can cause ear infections as well as Croup-like viruses.  Hope she feels better soon! 

kirstina
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Use a vaporizer or steam up the bathroom and take her in there. I wouldn't call the doctor yet. If she get worse call the doctor.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM
I agree. Watch out for high fevers. Good luck!

Quoting kirstina:

Use a vaporizer or steam up the bathroom and take her in there. I wouldn't call the doctor yet. If she get worse call the doctor.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I hope baby is feeling better!

kirstina
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM
How is baby doing?
youngmom16
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:56 AM

She's doing a little better but not much. Nothing seems to really be kicking it much. I think maybe it is allergies because she has been sneezing a lot more than normal, and now i am also sick with congestion and a scratchy throat and am sneezing a lot too. 

Quoting kirstina:

How is baby doing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)