Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Opposite sex kids sharing a room

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:11 AM
  • 30 Replies
Just moved my 10 month old DD into a room with her 3 1/2 year old brother. Anyone else have opposite sex kids sharing a room? Anyone grow up sharing a room with sibs that will share stories/advice?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessicaaris
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I used to share a room with my sister when we were younger. We hated each other as kids but it wasn't because of that lol. My girls share a room now and will for the near future, but they are still in toddler beds.

babygomez
by April on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:41 AM
My kids don't share, and my siblings and I never did.

Bump.
proudmama11212
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:46 AM
I only shared with my sister never my brother
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashthecat
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:48 AM
I shared a room with my older brother until I was 11.
Dragonmamas
by Ari on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I think it's alright up to a certain age. Four, five. When there is a possibility they start to "explore."

aniters
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:57 PM
I grew up sharing a room with my younger brother(2 years younger). When we moved I began sharing a room.with my older brother (2 years older). When we moved again I went back to sharing a room.with my younger brother. We had no problems and I'm really close to both of my brothers.
Salem2012
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:01 PM

My cousins shared a room til they were teenagers....my aunt had all 3 of them back to back 1 boy and 2 girls and til about 12 or 13 they were fine but at that age they all wanted their privacy.

angela.bouchard
by Angela on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:11 PM

There are actually laws for this that vary from state to state. Lol obviously it's not reinforced but if for some reason a person got in trouble with CPS they would be considered neglectful. 

*ETA* It's not a law. I just looked it up because I was curious, my sociology instructor mentioned it during a lecture a few weeks ago but it is something that CPS looks at. They like kids of opposite sexes to be in seperate rooms by the time one hits puberty.

Quoting Dragonmamas:

I think it's alright up to a certain age. Four, five. When there is a possibility they start to "explore."

expectantmom81
by Erin on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:09 PM
I have two boys but I think legally its ok until like she 6 but not positive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SMTCMMoore
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:12 PM
I have a 5 yo boy and 3 yo girl sharing, it's not weird, they have bunk beds. We don't make a big deal. But kids don't play in bedrooms in our house anyway, bedrooms are for sleeping and that's all. They'll share until it is apparent they need to be separated. When dd2 is older I imagine they'll share, especially if little bean due in August is a boy, then it will be boys in one room and girls in the othee
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)