Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Air Travel with a 7 Month Old

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello Ladies!

Very soon my family and I will be moving from New Hampshire to California. Yay! Anyway, I've never traveled with my baby before, so I need some advice.

My biggest concern is about the formula. I had heard stories about how women weren't allowed to bring formula on the plane. I can't breastfeed so I can't exactly just whip out my boobs and feed her when she needs. Has anyone had issues with this before? 

Another concern I have is about the car seat. Can I bring it on the plane and put her in the seat next to me? Or does she have to travel on my lap? I've heard about that caddy where you can strap the car seat onto it and it has wheels which make it easier to go through the airport. Can that also come on the plane? 

How have you changed your baby while on the plane? In the seat? 

I know I'll have other questions later, but those are the biggest concerns right now. Any other advice is greatly appreciated!

thank you

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Replies (31-38):
merryvoice
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Yes, I fully intend to do this. The price is worth it, I think. 

Quoting babie113:

P.s even though its more expensive its worth buying a seat for baby and putting her in her carseat on the plane. Babies sleep better in the carseat because its something familiar. And its a ton safer

babie113
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Yeah on the way back from that trip I got smart and bought a pack of 12 onsies. And put it in my carry on. Also I forgot you may want to get earplanes plugs they make them for babies the relieve the pressure in the baby's ears during the climb and decent. It can be extremely painful and most kids start crying because of the pain. Walmart sells them.
Quoting merryvoice:

This is something I was thinking about doing. I had already been told to bring extra clothes and I definitely plan on it!

Quoting babie113:

You can take formula on but its better to take pre measured formula in the bottle and ask for water on the plane .....

Also take lots of spare clothes for baby. I went to the UK with my son and it was turbulent we flew through a thunderstorm .my son puked six times projectile. And by the time we landed he had nothing clean :-( I thought five outfits would be enough and I was wrong.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babie113
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:50 AM
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=14762
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
merryvoice
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much! That is extremely helpful. 

Quoting babie113:

Yeah on the way back from that trip I got smart and bought a pack of 12 onsies. And put it in my carry on. Also I forgot you may want to get earplanes plugs they make them for babies the relieve the pressure in the baby's ears during the climb and decent. It can be extremely painful and most kids start crying because of the pain. Walmart sells them.
Quoting merryvoice:

This is something I was thinking about doing. I had already been told to bring extra clothes and I definitely plan on it!

Quoting babie113:

You can take formula on but its better to take pre measured formula in the bottle and ask for water on the plane .....

Also take lots of spare clothes for baby. I went to the UK with my son and it was turbulent we flew through a thunderstorm .my son puked six times projectile. And by the time we landed he had nothing clean :-( I thought five outfits would be enough and I was wrong.

MissMia22
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmJr1a-BHU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

They arw THROWING. the checked car seats onto the ground by the conveyor belt...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2BeAmy
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:57 PM
I just took my 5mo old on a loooooooong plane ride to the uae. Never any problems. Theyll make u drink some like a drop to prove its ok
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
merryvoice
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM

And that is exactly why I don't travel by plane with my pets! I've seen very similar videos with animals in crates! 

Quoting MissMia22:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmJr1a-BHU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

They arw THROWING. the checked car seats onto the ground by the conveyor belt...

merryvoice
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, really?? I guess I'll do what I have to!

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

I just took my 5mo old on a loooooooong plane ride to the uae. Never any problems. Theyll make u drink some like a drop to prove its ok

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)