Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Do You Photograph Your Children?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM
  • 18 Replies

4 Cool Camera Effects Moms Should Be Using to Capture Photos of Their Kids

Posted by Jeanne Sager

By now you probably have thousands of photos of your toddler, don't you? There's the photo with Santa, and that shot of them in silly glasses, and the picture of their cranky face, and, and, and ... But are you just taking the same old photo over and over and over again?

Just look at them! Sure the setting changes, but if you're just pointing the camera and shooting, you're missing out on making some really cool memories to look back on when the toddler years are long gone. Not sure what I mean? Here are some cool camera effects you really need to use when you're taking pictures of your kids:

1. Lens Flare: In general we try to avoid these round spots and haze that bright light -- especially sunlight -- can create in a photo. After all, you want a clear photo, right? Not always! Lens flare can enhance the drama of a photo!

2. Shutter Effects: If you set your camera on automatic, the speed of the shutter (a part of the lens that determines how long light is allowed to pass into the camera) is pre-set. Play with the shutter speed, and you will be able to capture your child's actual motion in a still photograph.

3. Filtration. The hot photography apps for your smartphone allow you to add a filter after you've taken a photo to enhance or adjust the colors of your shot, but did you know you can do this with a regular old camera? Filters for a DSLR lens are widely available, and many are relatively inexpensive.

4. Forced Perspective. You've seen the silly photos of a kid holding up the Leaning Tower of Pisa or lifting Dad, haven't you? It's all an optical illusion, and you don't have to be a whizz at Photoshop to do the same thing with your kids -- you can do it with your camera!

Do you try to mix things up when you're taking pictures of your kids?
What are you favorite tricks?
Do you photograph your children?

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angela.bouchard
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I take pictures but I by no means try to look professional. Lol

abra
by Abra on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:41 PM
I only have a camera phone so my photos aren't that snazzy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:33 PM

No, I just snap away, lol

OliviaW.
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I love taking pictures of my kids but I just snap away. 

rwebb11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I take pictures like this one, but I don't have a fancy camera, just a simple Nikon cool picks camera. I don't think you can adjust those things on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alandou
by April on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:50 PM
I like to take photos and I enjoy doing some photo editing online.
cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I take pictures but they definitely don't look like they were professionally taken.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
Mrs.Bolin
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Here is a pic of my girls that i took with my camera. And one that my sister took with our camera. Just a regualar digital camera. Lighting is the key

xomrs.chase
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:58 AM
I literally have over a thousand pix of my 14mo old LOL

SarineLewis
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:38 AM
I have tons of pics of ds! And soon will of dd too! I most use dh's phone because or regular camera is designed to take vids and its too slow for pics.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN