Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Will this hurt my baby?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:54 PM
  • 7 Replies
I have read everything I found online and am still confused. I was prescribed Buspar for anxiety on Friday and its a Category B in pregnancy so my Dr said it should be ok in breastfeeding he thinks. There isn't much study done on it for BF. I take one 7.5 mg pill two times daily. Some people say don't take it while BF then on the Thomas Hale site it is a L3 so moderately safe....what does that really mean? My son is 14 months so only nurses a few times a day but I still need to know its safe please help me or give me any info. Thank you!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ashleywagoner
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:00 PM
I don't know, but would suggest to ask the breastfeeding group. I would say someone there would know something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hplesha
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Caution is warranted with impairment renal or hepatic function. It is unknown whether buspirone crosses the placenta or is distributed in breast milk.

This is what's printed in my drug book
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:11 PM

According to lactmed, not much passes through milk... and that was with women taking 45mg daily.   15mg daily with a toddler should be totally fine.

Summary of Use during Lactation:
Limited information indicates that maternal doses of buspirone up to 45 mg daily produce low levels in milk. Because no information is available on the long-term use of buspirone during breastfeeding, an alternate drug may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant.

Drug Levels:
Maternal Levels. A woman was taking buspirone 15 mg 3 times daily during pregnancy and postpartum. On day 13 postpartum, buspirone was undetectable in breastmilk by HPLC assay (limit of detection and time of sample not stated).[1]

Infant Levels. In the exclusively breastfed infant of a mother who was taking buspirone 15 mg 3 times daily, buspirone was undetectable in the infants's serum by HPLC assay (limit of detection and time of sample not stated) on days 13 and 21 postpartum.[1]

Effects in Breastfed Infants:
Possible drug-induced seizure-like activity and cyanosis occurred in a breastfed 3-week-old whose mother was taking buspirone 15 mg 3 times daily as well as fluoxetine and carbamazepine during pregnancy and breastfeeding. The authors thought that this reaction, if drug induced, was most likely caused by fluoxetine.[1]

One exclusively breastfed 11-week-old infant was breastfed during maternal therapy with buspirone 10 mg daily and venlafaxine 300 mg daily. No adverse reactions were reported by the mother or in the medical records.[2]

Possible Effects on Lactation:
Buspirone increases serum prolactin.[3][4][5][6] Galactorrhea was reported in a women taking venlafaxine after buspirone was added to her regimen. However, when buspirone was discontinued, galactorrhea persisted.[7] The prolactin level in a mother with established lactation may not affect her ability to breastfeed.

ktinaza
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Thank you this is helpful.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

According to lactmed, not much passes through milk... and that was with women taking 45mg daily.   15mg daily with a toddler should be totally fine.

Summary of Use during Lactation:

Limited information indicates that maternal doses of buspirone up to 45
mg daily produce low levels in milk. Because no information is available
on the long-term use of buspirone during breastfeeding, an alternate
drug may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm
infant.

Drug Levels:

Maternal Levels. A woman was taking buspirone 15 mg 3 times
daily during pregnancy and postpartum. On day 13 postpartum, buspirone
was undetectable in breastmilk by HPLC assay (limit of detection and
time of sample not stated).[1]

Infant Levels. In the
exclusively breastfed infant of a mother who was taking buspirone 15 mg 3
times daily, buspirone was undetectable in the infants's serum by HPLC
assay (limit of detection and time of sample not stated) on days 13 and
21 postpartum.[1]

Effects in Breastfed Infants:

Possible drug-induced seizure-like activity and cyanosis occurred in a
breastfed 3-week-old whose mother was taking buspirone 15 mg 3 times
daily as well as fluoxetine and carbamazepine during pregnancy and
breastfeeding. The authors thought that this reaction, if drug induced,
was most likely caused by fluoxetine.[1]

One exclusively
breastfed 11-week-old infant was breastfed during maternal therapy with
buspirone 10 mg daily and venlafaxine 300 mg daily. No adverse reactions
were reported by the mother or in the medical records.[2]

Possible Effects on Lactation:

Buspirone increases serum prolactin.[3][4][5][6] Galactorrhea was
reported in a women taking venlafaxine after buspirone was added to her
regimen. However, when buspirone was discontinued, galactorrhea
persisted.[7] The prolactin level in a mother with established lactation
may not affect her ability to breastfeed.

abra
by Abra on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Not much is passed through the milk. I was on high doses of zoloft (class C) while I breastfed some of my kids and it didn't have any negative effects on them. You just have to weight the pros vs the cons. 

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM

It's an L3.  It's find.  Certainly if you don't need it you don't want to take it.  But if you need it...take it.  It's less risky than formula and a nonfunctioning mom. 

Erin, IBCLC

ktinaza
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Ok thank you.

Quoting abra:

Not much is passed through the milk. I was on high doses of zoloft (class C) while I breastfed some of my kids and it didn't have any negative effects on them. You just have to weight the pros vs the cons. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)