Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

baby carrier that faces out?

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM
  • 49 Replies

Hi. I'm new!

Right now I have a Mei Tai carrier but my 2 month old little girl hates it and I'm pretty sure it's because she likes to look around and can't so I think I need one that faces out. Is there one that you have found particularly convenient? I've been looking at the Babybjorn Air (because I live in Texas and it gets hot) but I mostly need it for around the house and at the store, so maybe the original is fine? Or maybe there's another someone here recommends?

Thanks ahead of time!

EDIT/UPDATE: I have bought a ring sling and LO and I are both happy with it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.wilcox01
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:58 PM
I had a orbit baby. It spins 360 degrees look it up
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MinglingMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Sorry I didn't clarify. I mean a carrier that you wear. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think you should face a 2month old out.......I believe (but not completely sure) that facing a child out can be harmful on their hips.  Some call it a 'croch dangler' :(  Are you carrying her properly in it?  You may want to try a sling or wrap instead.  My son LOVES the Mei Tai!  I always have him facing me.  He is 7mos and 22lbs!!!  He also sits in a ring sling or peanut shell.  Those are my favorite.  I plan to try to back carry him in the Moby this summer, BUT he will be close to a year old.  Try a hip carry before facing your child out..........

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:53 PM
4 moms liked this

here are some reasons not to let your baby face out, for your consideration- of course.

Carrying your baby facing out…

1.  Does not support your baby’s legs-Your baby’s legs should be pulled up to at least hip level if not higher. This is possible only if the fabric in a baby carrier covers the whole back of the thigh, to the backside of the knee, or if the carrier has footstraps.  When your baby is facing forwards with legs unsupported, it isn’t that his legs are simply dangling,  his spine and hips are unsupported to and there is simply nowhere for baby to sit.

Check out this medical research by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute and the infant biomechanics in different types of baby carriers.  A baby carrier that supports the legs encourages proper hip development.  Front facing carriers do not support little hips.  Those babies already diagnosed with DDH should steer clear of front facing carriers.

2.  Makes it tough for the wearer to carry the baby-It’s much harder to carry something that curves away from your body than something that embraces your body. The wearer has an awkward load and often ends up arching her back to compensate.  Babies bodies are naturally adapted to being carried facing you.

3. Places your baby in an arched or hollow back position which places pressure on the spine-Extending the back (like arching after waking from a nap), is not injurious or “bad” in and of itself.  The problem arises when you compress a “hollow back” under a load.  Placing an infant in a front facing carrier stretches the naturally convex rounded curve (see infant spinal development in upright transport paper) of his spine into a hollow back position.   With nothing to cling to, weak abdominal muscles, and retracted shoulders, the infant’s pelvis tilts backwards and is forced to not only carry weight of his own body but also to absorb the force of every step that the carrying individual takes- all on his little compromised spine.

4.  Places undue pressure on groin and may chaff the inner thighs of your baby-Chaffing is no fun.  Being suspended by your baby’s most sensitive parts is not ideal, especially for little boys.

5. May overstimulate your baby-Babies can face their parents and still experience the world around them and take it in at their own pace.  It is very easy for a small infant to become overwhelmed.

6.  Doesn’t support the head or the neck-Positional asphyxia is possible when babies have no neck control and their chin falls toward their chests.  Little babies should never be placed in a position that can compromise their airways.  The US Consumer Products Safety Commission recently passed a law that the warning labels of forward facing carriers must state that babies should not face out until adequate head/neck control is achieved. The law does not extend to sleeping infants even though they don’t have control of their necks or heads while snoozing.

7.  Makes thermoregulation more difficult-The flexed position a baby assumes on his mother’s chest is more efficient at conserving heat than chest exposed. Check out kangaroo care and thermoregulation benefits.  The baby also has more fat cells (insulation) on its back side than front.

8. Makes it harder to respond to baby’s cues-With no eye contact it is harder to communicate with your baby, check their airways, see their spit up, see them rooting, practice EC, and know their needs.  There’s a neat study that shows that even front facing strollers interfere with your ability to interact with and respond to your baby.

9.  Throws off the baby’s center of gravity-  Most often the wearer will intuitively stick out her pointer fingers for the baby to grab on to and stabilize himself or the wearer will try to support the baby’s legs by lifting them up in the front. With no seat and nothing to grab on to in front of him it is tough for baby not to arch his back under the weight of his own body.

10.  May not be so wonderful on your back either-Carrying a load with an arched spine will give you an aching lower back.

Carrying your baby facing forward is not the best option.  It’s not “cruel”, but it’s not ideal either.  Embracing your baby, or having them embrace you (like when you’re back packing the baby) is what your baby is adapted to do and quite naturally the way to go.

MalakbelLacuna
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:06 PM
like two before me have said- you should never wear a baby facing out. your only safwe and healthy option for her facing out is with a ring sling and doing the kangaroo carry.
My little one hated being worn at that age too. SHe is now six months and loves to be worn. She likes tunny to tummy, hip carry. I am purchasing a woven wrap next week and will try a back carry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM

The only carriers that offer good support for facing out are pouch slings, and ring slings.   2 mo is still a bit young for that hold though, you want their heads to be really steady. 

FrumpyMama
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:21 PM

As tempting as they are, don't do them. If your baby would like to look our, invest in a good sling. 

Forward facing baby carriers don't support the hips properly and can cause Hip Dysplasia. 

Click here for more info.

MyGirlsAbbyLiz
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:29 PM

i wouldnt put her facing front unless she can control her head well

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Not a good idea at all mama.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xredstarsx
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Please don't back carry with a moby. It is way too stretchy especially with a bigger baby. Mei Tais are great for back carries though.

Quoting rHOPEb:

I don't think you should face a 2month old out.......I believe (but not completely sure) that facing a child out can be harmful on their hips.  Some call it a 'croch dangler' :(  Are you carrying her properly in it?  You may want to try a sling or wrap instead.  My son LOVES the Mei Tai!  I always have him facing me.  He is 7mos and 22lbs!!!  He also sits in a ring sling or peanut shell.  Those are my favorite.  I plan to try to back carry him in the Moby this summer, BUT he will be close to a year old.  Try a hip carry before facing your child out..........

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN