Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Probably heard this a thousand times, but...

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:07 PM
  • 14 Replies

We are going through colic - or maybe not since I know why he isn't sleeping and crying constantly.  

So here is the deal, he has REALLY bad gas.  It is coming out both ends, painfully so.  He also seems to have slight amounts of reflux.  The gas causes him to be up from 10pm - 6am, with micronaps in between - which of course we don't get and as pat and rock him to help alleviate the pain and not wake up our DD.  We have tried infant gas drops and gripe water, and nothing seems to help.  Then, exhausted, he passed out this morning for 4 hours.  Why can't he do that at night?  He sleeps fine during the day.

We are one week in, DS is our second, so we have been here before, but with a toddler and DH doesn't get paternity leave this time - new job and little vacation.  I am now a SAHM so him taking unpaid leave would make it too tight, so we are struggling at this point.  Here is my question, which is probably more of a complaint, why, WHY does it happen only at night?   I am starting to flip my days and nights so he doesn't keep everyone up, but there HAS to be another answer.

I don't want to take him to the doctor as I know there is little they can do and don't want him on meds.  Any suggestions?

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:18 PM

gripe water can actually make it worse depending on the ingredients, if any of it is reflux based crying.  As for the gas...do you nurse or is he on formula?  Gas drops are one of the few things you cannot overdose on.  If you give a dose before a feeding and a dose after a feeding, then it would make it easier to burp him and then all that air wouldn't be trapped in the intestines.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Breast fed or formula fed?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ferne3
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Breastfed.  I make my own gripe water - we just started that after 5 hours of crying, but what ingredients should I stay away from?  I make mine with herbs and water.

Quoting emkirkley:

gripe water can actually make it worse depending on the ingredients, if any of it is reflux based crying.  As for the gas...do you nurse or is he on formula?  Gas drops are one of the few things you cannot overdose on.  If you give a dose before a feeding and a dose after a feeding, then it would make it easier to burp him and then all that air wouldn't be trapped in the intestines.

ferne3
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Breastfed and I already cut out all dairy.  Helped for a day and now it is back again.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM

My guess would be that you are safe if you aren't using sodium bicarbonate or any other antacid in it...

Do you think you could have an overactive let-down reflex that's causing him to gulp air and be gassy? 

Quoting ferne3:

Breastfed.  I make my own gripe water - we just started that after 5 hours of crying, but what ingredients should I stay away from?  I make mine with herbs and water.

Quoting emkirkley:

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:42 PM

it takes a minimum of 2 weeks for dairy to leave your system, so there is no way to know if it's going to work unless you cut out dairy (hidden dairy too) for a full 3 weeks.

Quoting ferne3:

Breastfed and I already cut out all dairy.  Helped for a day and now it is back again.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

ferne3
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I did not know this...but why would it only affect him at night?

Quoting emkirkley:

it takes a minimum of 2 weeks for dairy to leave your system, so there is no way to know if it's going to work unless you cut out dairy (hidden dairy too) for a full 3 weeks.

Quoting ferne3:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I don't know that it only affects him at night...but it's more like with teething...they are just more sensitive/aware to it when it's still and quiet and there's nothing else to concentrate on.

Have you tried tummy lying for a few minutes, bicycling the legs, gas drops, pulling off right after a let-down so he's not gulping?

Quoting ferne3:

I did not know this...but why would it only affect him at night?

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting ferne3:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:32 PM
It takes up to 6 weeks to see results when doing an elimination diet. But it's usually forceful letdown and/or oversupply that causes discomfort in a breastfed baby. Sorry this isn't clicky, I'm on my phone, but this link will give you everything you need to know about forceful letdown/oversupply including symptoms and how to fix it. :) :)
http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

Quoting ferne3:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soontobemomof2k
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:35 PM

If he's breastfed, it might be what you're eating. I don't breastfeed, nor will I. My dd had trouble with gas when she was little and I just had to switch her formula to a gentler one and all was better

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)