Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Second guessing my 5 month old's name :(

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:23 PM
  • 292 Replies
1 mom liked this

My 5 month old daughter is named Ria (Ree-uh).  I found the name in a baby name book and it means river.  I am constantly having to spell it or correct the pronunciation.  I don't mind spelling it, but I wish it was easily pronounced.

I wasn't sure even when we were set on the name, I had a lot of critism, especially that it sounds like "diarrhea."

Her dad loves the name, and won't think of changing it (don't even know if I could at this point).

I'm afraid she'll hate her name having to correct people all the time, I know I hate my last name for the same reason.  And I don't want her to be teased.  :(

I don't know what I'm asking, maybe if you know anyone with the same name?  A movie character had the same name, and someone told me their cousin's name is Ria, but that's it.

Or if you completely hate it, or really like it, whatever.  I didn't mean for this to be one of those "name by baby" type posts but I guess it kind of turned out that way.

*EDIT*  Her middle name is Chantelle, my mother's middle name also. (French, pronounced Shawntelle, not with A as in Ant)

*EDIT* I should not have said I had a lot of critism,my best friend at the time put the diarrhea thing in my head. Although I didn't care if she liked the name, it did get me thinking that maybe she wouldn't like her name.  I am not influenced by other people's opinions, as the majority of our friends and family love the name. I just included the like/hate statement because I was not sure what I was asking.

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by Abra on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:26 PM
The only Ria's I know are Uriahs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:39 PM
30 moms liked this
I don't know anyone with that name, but I think it's pretty and I read it the way it's pronounced. I think you're overthinking this... :)
Yurixsi
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:41 PM
I like the name.
AlliJadesmama
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:44 PM
5 moms liked this
Honestly every kid will be teased no matter what their name is, maybe change how it's pronounced to "ry-ah" otherwise not sure. I think it's pretty and only stupid people would think up words it sounds like that are wrong. I got made fun of for my name so much but what can you do, kids will do it no matter what.
shadow_lark
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:50 PM
4 moms liked this
I like it.
It could be something atrocious like Ursula or Bertha. There will always be someone who mispronounces any name. People mispronounce my name, Megan. She will learn to love it for its uniqueness. And the ones who might make fun of her don't matter anyway...just makes it easier to weed out the losers in her potential friend pool.
momto1ryen
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:10 AM

No I don't know anyone with the name. Do you like her name. Take away everything else like having to spell it or pronounce it for people. Do you love her name. I also agree with another poster that if kids want to tease they can find a way to do it. Oh when I read her name my first thought wasn't at all "diarrhea"!

babygomez
by April on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:04 AM

I would have thought to pronounce it the correct way. :)

I've never known anyone with that name.

Miller_Mama
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:13 AM
i like the name, my daughter's name is tristan but ppl think i say kristan or kristian when i tell them her name so im always pretty but i wouldnt change it =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HaleyCovington
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't care for it but she's not my kid. Not everyone's going to like the name you pick.
rvb146
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:15 AM
I like her name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)