Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Second guessing my 5 month old's name :(

Posted by   + Show Post

My 5 month old daughter is named Ria (Ree-uh).  I found the name in a baby name book and it means river.  I am constantly having to spell it or correct the pronunciation.  I don't mind spelling it, but I wish it was easily pronounced.

I wasn't sure even when we were set on the name, I had a lot of critism, especially that it sounds like "diarrhea."

Her dad loves the name, and won't think of changing it (don't even know if I could at this point).

I'm afraid she'll hate her name having to correct people all the time, I know I hate my last name for the same reason.  And I don't want her to be teased.  :(

I don't know what I'm asking, maybe if you know anyone with the same name?  A movie character had the same name, and someone told me their cousin's name is Ria, but that's it.

Or if you completely hate it, or really like it, whatever.  I didn't mean for this to be one of those "name by baby" type posts but I guess it kind of turned out that way.

*EDIT*  Her middle name is Chantelle, my mother's middle name also. (French, pronounced Shawntelle, not with A as in Ant)

*EDIT* I should not have said I had a lot of critism,my best friend at the time put the diarrhea thing in my head. Although I didn't care if she liked the name, it did get me thinking that maybe she wouldn't like her name.  I am not influenced by other people's opinions, as the majority of our friends and family love the name. I just included the like/hate statement because I was not sure what I was asking.

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Replies (291-292):
Emma87
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Lol, I wouldn't worry about it :) I had the same issue with my son and still do. He is named after my grandpa who passed away. Nichola. I hat it when people pronounce it nicole with an a. The o is uspposed to make the "uh" sound. Nick-uh-la. Nobody ever gets it, and when we go the doctor they say bring "her" back, even when my girls aren't with me and he definitely looks like a boy. I wouldn't change it though, and we have started just calling him Nick, but his name is staying Nichola after my grandpa, which is exactly what I wanted.

Nateaulo
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I think it is a beautiful name. I have a friend with that name, spelled the same and pronounced the same. Now she is a adult and has never mentioned being teased about it. I always thought it sounded pretty and I don't think it's hard to pronounce at all! My name is Andrea and there is so many ways to pronounce my name, but I don't mind having to correct people on how I say my name. I think she will grow up loving her name, it's unique without being to weird. I hope I helped a little but I really do think it's a lovely name.

Sincerely,

Andrea ( pronounced with the A is in Apple)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)