Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

NO IDEA what I'm doing! Help!

Posted by   + Show Post

I have one month-old twin boys. I'm sure this is old news to all established moms, but literally all they've done for the last four weeks is eat, sleep, poop, cry, sleep, and cry.

I expected this, obviously. But I have no idea if I'm doing this right. When they cry and chew on their hands or otherwise signal hunger, DH and I feed them. They almost always fall asleep during feedings, so we wake them up with a diaper change so they'll finish their bottle. Then they're out cold again, so we put them to bed most of the time, because my mom said that they need to learn that their cribs are for sleeping. During the day, sometimes I'll put them out in the living room instead, in their swing/bouncy seat/etc to give them some "social time", even though they almost always just sleep there too.

Am I supposed to be doing something different? I feel awful that all we do is feed them and put them back to bed. During feedings we interact with them if they're alert, and any other time they're alert, we'll sit and hold them and talk to them and make faces. I sing to them at night before "bedtime" (I use the term loosely lol). But it feels wrong that there's nothing else to our sad excuse for a routine. Should we be playing with them? Doing something other than what we're doing at their age?

What did you do with your one month-old baby? What about two months?

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Replies (11-20):
ceckyl
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Sounds pretty normal. The only thing I would say to not do is make them finish their bottle. That is why bottle fed babies tend to grow up to be over eaters. And you shouldn't worry about them knowing their cribs are for sleep, they need to be held.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this
For me, I wouldn't be comfortable with them being alone so much - but I'm a breastfeeding, co sleeping, baby wearing mama. I have my 4 week old baby fast asleep on my chest right now :)

Congrats on the babies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmommaof6bo
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:00 PM
My twins slept all the time for like the first two to three months. Your are doing great hun!
mommaH709
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM
I have 4 kids. They start at 11 and end with 5 months. I have had difficult to easy. You are doing great. My 5 month old still sleeps a lot. Boys tend to be visually stimulated so when they get older try baby einstein videos. My babies have slept in the crib, the swing, and the recliner. Classical music and skin to skin contact is supposed to help btain growth.
skippito
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Good job momma! A+ for doing all the right things!
the4mutts
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds normal to me! The only thing that I would change slightly, and its just me so if you dont like the idea, just ignore it :)
I would hold the durring times when you've noticed that they have shorter naps if you can. They're only this small once, and there is nothing more precious than holding a tiny sleeping baby <3
momamanda
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM

No all my babies slept all the time at that age. enjoy it! it won't last long! pretty soon they'll want to be awake alot more.

jdy9440
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Congratulations! Twins are awesome :-) I have twin granddaughters, they just turned one :-).
achapman
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Welcome to motherhood the first few months will be more of the same with lil more alertness. Good luck momma like the other ladies have said it sounds like your doing fine.

MamaMoopsie
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM

For about the first three months that's all there is. You shouldn't feel bad. You're interacting when they are alert but the rest of the time they need the sleep.

My kids didn't start becoming more alert until they were about three months. Every day I would give them time on the floor while they were awake and alert. We called it belly time and this helped strengthen their necks, but only one of them enjoyed it for longer than a few minutes. The other two would lay on their tummies for a few minutes then start to cry and fuss to be held, so I'd hold them. Honestly, that's the only thing I'd really suggest at this age. If you're hesitant to put them on the floor you can definitely lay on your back with a baby on your belly.

I agree with your mom about putting them in their cribs to sleep, but I'd focus that more for night time and once or twice throughout the day. With my first two we lived in a house that had the bedrooms upstairs and it was such a pain trying to listen for them all the way up there or carry around a baby monitor that just made a lot of static noise. I set up a pack and play downstairs and would let the baby sleep there during the day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN