Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

NO IDEA what I'm doing! Help!

Posted by   + Show Post

I have one month-old twin boys. I'm sure this is old news to all established moms, but literally all they've done for the last four weeks is eat, sleep, poop, cry, sleep, and cry.

I expected this, obviously. But I have no idea if I'm doing this right. When they cry and chew on their hands or otherwise signal hunger, DH and I feed them. They almost always fall asleep during feedings, so we wake them up with a diaper change so they'll finish their bottle. Then they're out cold again, so we put them to bed most of the time, because my mom said that they need to learn that their cribs are for sleeping. During the day, sometimes I'll put them out in the living room instead, in their swing/bouncy seat/etc to give them some "social time", even though they almost always just sleep there too.

Am I supposed to be doing something different? I feel awful that all we do is feed them and put them back to bed. During feedings we interact with them if they're alert, and any other time they're alert, we'll sit and hold them and talk to them and make faces. I sing to them at night before "bedtime" (I use the term loosely lol). But it feels wrong that there's nothing else to our sad excuse for a routine. Should we be playing with them? Doing something other than what we're doing at their age?

What did you do with your one month-old baby? What about two months?

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Replies (151-153):
youngandtired
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

That's pretty normal:-) Wait a couple months you'll be wishing they slept as much as they do now!

I agree

Agree...the first month is just that- sleeping, pooping, crying, feeding, carrying, and you: crying sleeping questioning worrying drinking coffee lol

Sammi20
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:34 AM

My DD slept A LOT as a baby .. it's really all they do at that age. They get interesting at 6 months old lol :) Don't worry as long as they are fed and changed they are good ^.^

Dora-rulz
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Sounds like you are doing great. There is no right or wrong way to parent, each baby is diff. My ds didn't want to be put down & slept in my arms most of the time. He is 6 & still wants to sleep w/ mommy. My dd was the opposite. She is so much more independent. They both do great in school but the transition was easier for her. So I agree with the idea of teaching them to sleep in crib. Enjoy this stage, before you know it they will be walking & talking then teenagers & going to college. They will be interactive very soon. Stop worrying.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)