Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NO IDEA what I'm doing! Help!

Posted by   + Show Post

I have one month-old twin boys. I'm sure this is old news to all established moms, but literally all they've done for the last four weeks is eat, sleep, poop, cry, sleep, and cry.

I expected this, obviously. But I have no idea if I'm doing this right. When they cry and chew on their hands or otherwise signal hunger, DH and I feed them. They almost always fall asleep during feedings, so we wake them up with a diaper change so they'll finish their bottle. Then they're out cold again, so we put them to bed most of the time, because my mom said that they need to learn that their cribs are for sleeping. During the day, sometimes I'll put them out in the living room instead, in their swing/bouncy seat/etc to give them some "social time", even though they almost always just sleep there too.

Am I supposed to be doing something different? I feel awful that all we do is feed them and put them back to bed. During feedings we interact with them if they're alert, and any other time they're alert, we'll sit and hold them and talk to them and make faces. I sing to them at night before "bedtime" (I use the term loosely lol). But it feels wrong that there's nothing else to our sad excuse for a routine. Should we be playing with them? Doing something other than what we're doing at their age?

What did you do with your one month-old baby? What about two months?

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Replies (31-40):
twogirl91
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:42 AM

You are doing an amazing job girl! Newborns sleep A LOT! Around 4-6 months they start giving up naps, once they start crawling they will be awake even more. Enjoy it while they are sleeping. It sounds like you are doing everything prefectly right! :)

ballerina18
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM

One month old babies should sleep all the time. :)

I will say this though. Don't measure feeding success by an empty bottle. If your baby stops eating don't force them to eat more. If they pull away from the bottle that is a red flag that they are done eating.

Congrats on your twins =)

aimhawk
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Its all very normal. Every baby is different and they change with age. Right now their bodies are focusing on growing, thus the eat, poop, sleep. Repeat.

BaBeezandMe
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I have 8 year old twin boys and when they were 1 month they pretty much slept, ate, and went potty.  2 months they start interacting with you a little more.  When they are awake, try feeding and burping them and then lay them down for some belly play in the middle of the floor with an interesting toy to look at and play with.  Try doing this now so they can start learning the difference between day "awake/play" time and night "sleep/bed" time.  Try setting up a routine and my biggest advice is to establilsh a sleep routine NOW!

The other thing is when one wakes up in the middle of the night, wake the other and get bottles and fresh diapers out of the way.  That way you aren't just waiting sleeplessly all night for the other baby to wake up.  That also helps establish that sleep schedule ensuring both are on the same schedule.

Feel free to PM me anytime if you need any other advice.  I've been through it ALL with my boys!

Allow me to introduce my GORGEOUS boys...CJ and Michael

EthansMomma129
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

My twin boys are almost 2. First off, the first few months are just survival....and sadly, this is easy compared to when they start walking and getting into everything. You are doing fine and try to just enjoy these precious moments now because soon they will be much bigger and you will be much busier trying to keep up with them :) They will start to be awake longer periods of time as they get bigger :) 

Ziva65
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM

You'll be fine.

My major advice is to get them on a schedule. Don't let them dictate it or you will go crazy, and reap the consequences later. They are only a month old, their whole job is to eat, sleep and grow.  Your interaction with them, and theirs with each other is great. They aren't mini adults :) You are fine.

I have 4 kids, one was 18 months old when I had triplets. Really, stick to your schedule :)

welchmomx5
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Sounds like you're doing a great job!! :) I am the mother of 5, and our youngest are 5 year old twin boys, so I know EXACTLY what you're going through right now! :) Keep up the good work, mama - pretty soon, they will keep you super busy in MANY MANY ways!! lol

iamcafemom83
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Completely normal. Tune out well intentioned grandparents and keep on.

The first few weeks, well really the first 3 months are like that! It gets better, but your routine is ever changing the first year;)

I imagine with two it really does seem like it's "all" you do.

If you can, give yourself a break here and there so you don't become what I like to call a mombot lol even if you can escape to the store to shop by yourself for a few that's a win.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Melissa_4
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Despite having lots of babysitting and even nursing school experience, I was SCARED TO DEATH with my first!!!  It was just my little guy and I, and he was born after only 7 months and 3 weeks of gestation.  He was tiny, and I was so afraid if I wasn't watching him sleep he'd stop breathing, lol. 

You're doing a great job.  The boys are newborns, and will become more alert in the coming weeks.  Newborns generally just eat, sleep, poop, and cry.  The only thing I would do differently is snuggle time.  I'm big on snuggling, skin to skin contact with newborns, and just love the way they smell and feel.  That's up to you though.  Keep up the great work, and make sure you get a little snooze in while they are snoozing!

MockingJay
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM

They will be awake more as time goes by. They are just newbies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)