Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

NO IDEA what I'm doing! Help!

Posted by   + Show Post

I have one month-old twin boys. I'm sure this is old news to all established moms, but literally all they've done for the last four weeks is eat, sleep, poop, cry, sleep, and cry.

I expected this, obviously. But I have no idea if I'm doing this right. When they cry and chew on their hands or otherwise signal hunger, DH and I feed them. They almost always fall asleep during feedings, so we wake them up with a diaper change so they'll finish their bottle. Then they're out cold again, so we put them to bed most of the time, because my mom said that they need to learn that their cribs are for sleeping. During the day, sometimes I'll put them out in the living room instead, in their swing/bouncy seat/etc to give them some "social time", even though they almost always just sleep there too.

Am I supposed to be doing something different? I feel awful that all we do is feed them and put them back to bed. During feedings we interact with them if they're alert, and any other time they're alert, we'll sit and hold them and talk to them and make faces. I sing to them at night before "bedtime" (I use the term loosely lol). But it feels wrong that there's nothing else to our sad excuse for a routine. Should we be playing with them? Doing something other than what we're doing at their age?

What did you do with your one month-old baby? What about two months?

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Replies (41-50):
nicole2884
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Your doing fine

My only thing about sleeping in the swings is they can become dependent on them to sleep an then wont sleep in crib as long as your mixing it up your good
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
twinsnseptember
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:07 PM

My twin girls are now 3 1/2. Th first few months did seem like eat, poop, sleep, around 3 months they seemed to wake up more. By 6 months they were able to play with toys. 

Dont worry mama.

shjchica
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Only time my DD is alone is at night when she's sleeping for her "bedtime" any other time during the day she's either in my arms or in her swing hanging out while I wait for my ring sling to arrive. tehe slowly co-sleeping though...she seems to know that when she wakes up for her morning bottle between 5 and 7am that she gets to go to bed with mommy (and daddy if he's not working) so she won't go back to sleep in her crib at that point. As we speak don't ask me how I'm doing it but she's cradled in my arms sound asleep listening to music with me while I look up stuff on budgeting and for new dressers for DH & I...and even miss Madison because she has too many damn clothes, LOL

Quoting Randi02:

For me, I wouldn't be comfortable with them being alone so much - but I'm a breastfeeding, co sleeping, baby wearing mama. I have my 4 week old baby fast asleep on my chest right now :)

Congrats on the babies!

torttia
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Do what comes natural. Instinct is an amazing thing.

mehamil1
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:44 PM

It's really hard to screw up with a newborn as long as their needs are being met. You feed them when they are hungry? Check. They are warm enough? Check. They have clean diapers most of the time? Check. They are sleeping 3 to four hours at a time? Check. 

You're fine. Believe it or not, this is the easy part. The hard part comes when they start moving around and then breaking your shit and talking back. That's when the stress shows up.

You are doing fine. Don't worry. They aren't broken. 

mmyof2armywife
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I was constantly holding my babies. I don't have twins though... 

MaryanneMac
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I have twin boys (two sets) and your boys are doing what mine did for the first month or so, relax, your doing just fine.

specialwingz
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I have twin boys, too.  Although they are grown now.  LOL.  Newborns pretty much eat, sleep and poop, with a little bit of social interaction in between.

You are doing just fine.  You will find that as time goes by, they will stay awake and interact longer.  Then, you'll be trying to figure out all the things you need to do to occupy them.  LOL.

Hang in there!  You'll get the hang of this in no time!  =)

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:18 PM

That's so completely normal for a one-month-old! They're little pooping, crying, sleeping, eating machines.

My BIL told me that having a newborn is kind of like having a tiny crack addict living in your house. If at the end of the day, everyone's still alive and nothing's on fire, you're done a great job. Seriously, your job right now is just to care for their physical needs and love on them as much as possible. Don't worry about anything else.   :)

Yellowlily333
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM

This sounds normal to me!! :) I used to read to my baby too. whatever I was reading anyway I would read out loud. :) Congrats on the babies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)