Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Stranger danger

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:07 PM
  • 15 Replies
My two year old has no stranger danger. She talks to anyone who will listen and walks right up to people. It makes me nervous. Any tips on how to handle this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marimaru
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:12 PM

That's pretty normal.  My husband has a story where he was talking to someone and his mom says "you aren't supposed to talk to strangers" and he says "He's not a stranger, his name is Tom!"  The first thing he'd asked the 'stranger' was "What's your name?"  lol.

I think the thing to teach in this case is "always make sure I can see you."

Ruthzaad
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:17 PM
A leash lol j/k I would get her books and/or movies on strangers. My second dd was like that and I talked with her about how strange dogs could bite and told her people can be just as bad if not worse. I didn't go into details of course but made it clear she shouldn't do it. The books and movies helped because it was music and cartoons that she found interesting. I do hate how people automatically come up to my kifs and talk to them or try to give them something at a store. I just think it encourages kids to feel cofortable around strangers and that doesn't sit well with me. My boys are all about personal space and wait for my reaction before talking to a stranger. My eldest keeps her distance and waits until she is ready, regardless of how I react lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:40 PM

We teach ours not to talk to people that aren't mommy and daddy's friends unless we are right next to them. 

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I honestly don't see this as a big deal.  Not at the age of 2.  She's developing social skills.  TOTALLY normal.  At the age of 2, she shouldn't be talking to anyone without you or an adult she knows being right behind her anyway.  So there shouldn't be a danger of anything bad happening.  Now if people are coming up to her, instead of her going up to people, THAT is something I would be concerned about because you could turn your back for one second and something could happen.  But if she is the one initiating conversation, I say let her.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:17 PM
I agree. :)

Quoting jackiewal10:

I honestly don't see this as a big deal.  Not at the age of 2.  She's developing social skills.  TOTALLY normal.  At the age of 2, she shouldn't be talking to anyone without you or an adult she knows being right behind her anyway.  So there shouldn't be a danger of anything bad happening.  Now if people are coming up to her, instead of her going up to people, THAT is something I would be concerned about because you could turn your back for one second and something could happen.  But if she is the one initiating conversation, I say let her.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauratupper
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Quoting jackiewal10:

Snapdragon88
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:46 PM
My 4 yr old son is the same way. He'll talk to EVERYONE he passes. I haven't really addressed it extensively because he's always with me or his grandparents.... but maybe I should get on that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandapanda82
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Luckily my 4 y/o is shy for that reason!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Quoting lauratupper:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Quoting jackiewal10:

erikays
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Just hold her hand when out, I'd be too afraid to let my 2 yr old walk around without holding our hand.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)