Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you tried any of these parenting “tricks” featured on Portlandia?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:24 PM
  • 5 Replies

By  | 

Do you remember when you first found out you were pregnant and you immediately went to Amazon to purchase every single pregnancy book that existed? And then as it got closer to your due date you bought the parenting books that told you how to get your baby to sleep at night, how to breastfeed, how to bathe them, and even how to change their diaper. If you wanted to know how to do it, there was a book that would tell you.

Parenting is tough stuff. Especially when you are a brand new parent. That’s why we go to the parenting books. Because we want the answers from experts.  As a new mom, I treated many of those books like they were the bible of parenting. They had all the answers. If I was having trouble with Harlan, I’d go to the books rather than my friends. It’s quite funny at how naive I was.

The vacuum cleaner trick? Totally guilty of that one. I thought it was going to be the answer to my prayers when I wanted Harlan to fall asleep! Tried wrapping her up like a burrito as well only to come back to find her completely out of the blanket. Ah, the joys of being a new parent!

I’ll be happy to say that I didn’t pick up a single book when I was pregnant with Avery and haven’t looked at one since she was born. When it comes to being a parent, it’s much better to trust your gut than trying the latest craze in parenting how-to’s.

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
angela.bouchard
by Angela on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Portlandia huh.. They must be in Portland, OR LOL I didn't think we were that weird..

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:35 PM

No

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:26 PM
I don't think google or Amazon was around in 1994-5 when I was pregnant with my first. The Amazon was a rain forest! Lol
abra
by Abra on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:42 PM

lol!!

Quoting Junebaby18:

I don't think google or Amazon was around in 1994-5 when I was pregnant with my first. The Amazon was a rain forest! Lol

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

Mazi184
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Lol I love portlandia!
That was funny- I only had the what to expect books but I didn't read them too much. I mostly went to my mom for advice, after 6 kids I figured she learned a thing or two.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)