Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

sleeping issues...help!

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:09 AM
  • 10 Replies
I have 3 kids...6, 2 and a almost 5 month old. My first two were great sleepers...hardly any issues. But my 5 month old is a different story. The first few weeks were the normal newborn nights, but then we got into our routine and she was waking up to eat just once at night. For probably the last almost 2 months though, she started waking up twice. I figured a growth spurt. But it kept getting worse. I don't mind that she wakes up to eat...but she wakes up anywhere from 1-3 times between feedings and sometimes she stays awake after she eats. I'm so freaking tired and I don't know what to do. I can't/won't let her cry it out, so that isn't an option. Any other suggestions???
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadow_lark
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Put her in bed with you? Idk. I bf mine and co slept, so even though they woke up five or six times a night they just went back to sleep. Gl though, that would be tough.

Mrs.Bolin
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:19 AM
1 mom liked this

There is no option. Quit goin in there and getting her. She expects it. Leave her along and let her cry or soothe herself to sleep. you are only making it worse. Get a musical light up crib toy. It helps

MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:58 AM
1 mom liked this

1) be advised that separation anxiety starts again at 6 months--give her something you have worn so she has Mommy scent for comfort.  Mine likes my sleep shirt.

2) Infant massage soothes her as well as you--start at the feet and rub towards the heart

3) white noise--such as soft lullaby instrumental music or a standing fan, which will also circulate the air and reduces the risk of SIDS. My Pal Scout has a button on his foot for set times of lullaby music or there is a large number of other baby music options that have timers as well.

6) black out shade or curtain or maybe a night light depending on the possible issue.

7) maybe still gassy

8) too hot or too cold? 

9) maybe sleeping too much in the day

10) maybe your milk production has lowered since she has grown and she isnt getting enough at each feeding.  FENUGREEK helped to increase my milk production.  It really works well say if you wanted to freeze some for later use once you decide to wean.

mommyhonu
by Mary on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:34 AM

I agree with this. Is it possible that the sleep routine is thrown off due to teething?

Quoting MixedCooke:

1) be advised that separation anxiety starts again at 6 months--give her something you have worn so she has Mommy scent for comfort.  Mine likes my sleep shirt.

2) Infant massage soothes her as well as you--start at the feet and rub towards the heart

3) white noise--such as soft lullaby instrumental music or a standing fan, which will also circulate the air and reduces the risk of SIDS. My Pal Scout has a button on his foot for set times of lullaby music or there is a large number of other baby music options that have timers as well.

6) black out shade or curtain or maybe a night light depending on the possible issue.

7) maybe still gassy

8) too hot or too cold? 

9) maybe sleeping too much in the day

10) maybe your milk production has lowered since she has grown and she isnt getting enough at each feeding.  FENUGREEK helped to increase my milk production.  It really works well say if you wanted to freeze some for later use once you decide to wean.

arichey85
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I've tried the whole co-sleeping thing, and I don't sleep very good that way either. And, her bed is in our room because we have no other place to put her, which is why I can't just leave her. She wakes up, I hear her and even though she doesn't cry most the time, I'm awake because I can hear her and she wont go back to sleep on her own.

We just moved to a new place about 6 weeks ago, and I think that the move is what did it because thats right around the time she started having sleeping problems.

abra
by Abra on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Around 6 months they start teething, that could be it, too. 

Crenshaw1988
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:38 PM
My daughter is 6 months and teething. She only gets really cranky at evenings. But seems to still sleep through the night. She's slept through the night since she's been 3 weeks old. Does anyone have any suggestions to help Soong her sore gums? I'm trying orajel but that only works for a few hours. My husband and I also put Jack Daniels on her gums if there really eritating her. And she's always had the fussiness at late evenings since she's beenborn. Any othr suggestions to help sooth her gums would be much appreciated.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Sounds like teething, my son was a great sleeper except when he was teething

Eliots_momma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Me too. I don't know how many times mine wakes bc I mostly sleep through. He nurses himself back to sleep.

Quoting shadow_lark:

Put her in bed with you? Idk. I bf mine and co slept, so even though they woke up five or six times a night they just went back to sleep. Gl though, that would be tough.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angela.bouchard
by Angela on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:11 AM

I'm no help, my son has a sleeping disorder and has never slept through the night. here's a bump. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)