Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Took my daughter to the ER...update

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:53 AM
  • 12 Replies
Update: if anyone is interested in knowing, I did take her to see her pediatrician today and he's sure what she has is RSV. He said she seems to be handling it rather well so just to keep doing the antibiotics and Advil. If she isn't doing any better or still struggling with a fever on Friday to come back in.

And since some of you wondered why I would go to the ER instead of her regular ped, on Monday it was 8:30pm when we went in. Doctor's offices close at 5pm and Urgent Cares close at 8pm. I had no choice but to take her to the ER. And then this morning when I posted this it was only 6am my time and doctor offices or Urgent Care don't open until 8am. If I took her immediately, again, I'd still have no choice but the ER. I decided to wait it out until the doctor office opened.

On Monday night around 6pm I was feeding my 9 month old daughter like usual. Everything was fine, it was a typical day, she was happy and playing like normal. As she was eating, she suddenly started to gag and then vomit started spewing out of her. It scared us but we didn't think it was anything serious. A few hours later she had a fever of 104, was breathing funny, and was very lethargic. She just wasn't moving or doing anything. I rushed her to the ER where she puked again so they took her back immediately. The nurses made the comment that she was the sickest patient they had that night. When the doctor came in she mentioned RSV, pneumonia, flu, UTI, so they gave her a bag of fluids, some Zofran, and Tylenol as well as drew blood, took a urine sample, did a flu test, and a chest X-ray. They planned to admit her for at least the night to keep an eye on her. When all the tests came back she was definitely feeling better and all the tests came back negative. The doctors didn't know what was making her so sick. The pediatrician on call upstairs came down and looked her over. The only thing he could find was an ear infection. Since she was doing better and all the tests came back negative we were sent home after a large dose of IV antibiotics and Rx for more antibiotics. Yesterday she was fine all day. Back to normal for the most part. Now this morning her fever is back, her breathing is crackly sounding, she's lethargic, and kind of moaning or talking in her sleep.

This is all really scary to me and I don't know if we should go back to the ER or if I should wait it out to give the antibiotic a few days to kick in. I gave her Advil and she's sleeping in my arms now but she's still very hot and breathing funny. I just want to know what is wrong with my baby so I can make her better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Take her back to ER
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lauratupper
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I'd take her back.

mama2my2boys
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM
take her back to the er
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyhonu
by Mary on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I'd go back in or at the very least call the pedi on call and update them on what's going on. Hope she starts feeling better soon.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:00 PM

poor baby. 

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Why would you take her to the ER and not call your regular doctor first?  You can call the doctor and see if they can assess her before making an expensive trip to an ER.

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I would call your dr first. We don't go to ER though unless stop breathing,pass out and unresponsive. In 6 years of being parents we have never been the ER for either kid.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
i.love.my.life
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:18 PM
That happens to my girls when they get ear infections. They get fevers, throw up, get respiratory like symptoms, and become very lethargic. After it happening a few times, I now know that I have to wait for the antibiotics to kick in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:18 PM
I'd call the doctor and see what they say. They may still have an opening for today and you can get her in. If not he may say to go to the er.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Megan11587
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Call the doctor for sure. I wouldn't go to the ER just yet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)