Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Lactose intolerant?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:25 AM
  • 7 Replies
Ok so my ds is 2 months old and I have to supplement with formula. He has been on similac advanced for about a month. His dad is lactose intolerant but Xavier is fine on his formula and there's nothing wrong like gassy or anything. If he deals great with the formula he's on is it safe to say he is not going to be lactose intolerant?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM

If he were lactose intollerant, you would have known the first week.  The symptoms would have been severe and he wouldn't be growing.

Does dad have congenital LI or primary LI?   Was he born with it, or did it develop later on?

Dairy-protein intollerance is a bigger concern for babies... with that he may not have symptoms now, but it may cause issues down the road.  

Do you *want* to be supplementing?

abra
by Abra on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM

If he were lactose intolerant, you'd have known by now. :-) 

Kaylahk
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Pretty sure dad was born with it and so was his dad. I didn't really want to supplement but my busy lifestyle with work demands lots of bottles prepared and I can't pump enough for what he needs. I did breastfeed the first month but now he was having problems latching which we are going in next week to look at toungue tied. It frustrates him to try to breastfeed and it broke my heart seeing him struggle so much so I pump

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

If he were lactose intollerant, you would have known the first week.  The symptoms would have been severe and he wouldn't be growing.

Does dad have congenital LI or primary LI?   Was he born with it, or did it develop later on?

Dairy-protein intollerance is a bigger concern for babies... with that he may not have symptoms now, but it may cause issues down the road.  

Do you *want* to be supplementing?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM

not necessarily...it's actually quite uncommon for an infant to be lactose intolerant (seeing as that's what breastmilk mostly is), but as you age your body produces less of the chemicals that break down lactose so you may still become lactose intollerant as you age.

maggiemom2000
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Babies are not lactose intollerant because human milk is really high in lactose (unless they have galactosemia which is really rare and serious, and they have to be on prescription formula). A certain percentage of humand lose their ability to digest lactose in early childhood. So, it is possible that he could develop lactose intollerance when he gets older.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM

You know know by now : )

angela.bouchard
by Angela on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:14 AM

I agree, you would know by now :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)