Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Trying to transition into a toddler bed...advice?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM
  • 12 Replies
My ds is 18 months old. His sister is due in 2 months so we are trying to transition him from his crib to his toddler bed. So far he's winning the war! He does not want to sleep in it and I don't know why. We have tried just leaving him in there and letting him cry but I don't like that and can't do that until he falls asleep because I don't know how long that will take. We've tried laying in his room with him or just sitting by the bed. I know that he's tired he just won't sleep in the bed. My dh got him to fall asleep once in the bed last week.I don't know what we can do to get him to sleep in the bed! I know that we won't be using the crib for his sister for 6 months or so but still...I figured it would be easier to transition him now while it's just him. Any advice?
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
B1Bomber
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I'm about to start this transition too...my first plan is to put him down for naps in the new bed instead of for nights...he's used to napping in different places, so I'm hoping he just accepts it.

MTSuperMomof4
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Does he have his own room? If so, don't worry so much about the bed itself. With each of my three kids (I have four but the baby is only 3 months), I put them in their room, in bed, and then I put a baby gate across the door. I don't care if they stay in the bed so much as in the room. For a good month, my DD slept on the floor next to her bed. I didn't push the issue. Now she is 2 1/2 and sleeps perfectly fine in her bed. I, personally, wouldn't get him used to having you sleep with him as it will be really hard to break when the new one comes. 

lauratupper
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM

bump!

Mrs.Bolin
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:44 PM

We didnt tranisition. My daughter was that age. I bought one of those rails to go on her bed from walmart.com. We had no problems. We turned on her nightlight and had all her stuffed friends cuddled with her and shut the door. She got outa bed a couple of times but ended up asleep in her bed. Dont go in there. Let him be

alexislovesjr
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I started at 14 months with both sons. Its hard but you got to find a routine and stick with it until they finally give up the fight. I made sure to have a special blanket or stuffed animal with them, read a book or sing a song. Then just let them be. It took a few weeks with both to go to bed with out crying.

CafeMom Tickers
kirstina
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM
I sit in the room until they go to sleep.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirstina
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM
I sit in the room until they go to sleep.
CelestialSong
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM
It's new and different. Try spending more time on or around the bed. Read books there, color, etc. Get him used to it. Does he nap there? If he falls asleep somewhere else, can you move him to his bed? When I moved my daughter to a toddler bed it was much easier because we had been cosleeping so she was used to a regular bed and me laying with her... I'm not sure how to easily go from a crib to a toddler bed. And maybe he's just not ready. It might help if you wait until your next baby is almost ready for the crib, and then make a big deal out of how little babies sleep incribs and big kids sleep in beds, make it fun and appealing for big brother. A bedding set of favorite characters would probab ly help.
abra
by Abra on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I transitioned my son when he turned 2 and started climbing out of his crib. I put him in bed, we keep our same nighttime routine, but I do put all the toys in the closet so he isn't up playing with them in the middle of the night and unscrew the lightbulb so he can't turn on the light. I only found him asleep out of his toddler bed once. 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:53 PM

We just switched and it went fine. bump!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN