Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

vaccinations and baby tylenol

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM
  • 16 Replies

Ry is getting his 2 month vaccines this afternoon and I'm worried about him getting a fever and/or being in pain.

My mom told me to give him a dose of baby Tylenol an hour before we go but on the bottle the smallest dosage is for a 2 year old.

He is 2 months and 15lb. Suggestions?? I don't want to drug him if he's gonna be alright...

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
robibuni
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Some moms WILL do that. Some pedis will suggest it.

I don't, typically. It's all up to you :) If you do, just ask your pedi how much to give him (based on weight)!

MommyofSCC
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I dont give Tylenol before shots.  If she gets fussy I will give it to her later.  And he is a big boy!

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM
I.don't vaccinate, or give my kids tylenol- but are you sure its infant tylenol? That seems strange that there's no dose for an infant.

Anyway, I wouldn't give it until he needs it. Giving it before can make the vaccines less effective.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marimaru
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I don't do it before, but I have it for after.

At the doctor's office, they'll give you a dosage chart that is based on weight.

kris0921
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:43 AM
I would do it after if he gets a fever. My kids didnt get fevers, just fussy, but move his legs after.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hi_Rae
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:16 PM
I wouldnt do it before because it can interfier with the vaccine. Lots of baby/mommy cuddles and a bottle or nursing after. If he's really in a lot if pain or running a fever after then I would give some tylenol.

You can download the dosage chart here...

http://www.babycenter.com/0_acetaminophen-dosage-chart_11886.bc

Sorry its not clicky
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Do not give Tylenol before shots. It can mask a fever if baby happens to have one. Shots should not be given if a fever is present. If you decide to give Tylenol afterwards, follow the dosage chart your pediatrician has. Do not use the smallest dose on the bottle. Also, make sure you are aware of the difference in dosing between the concentrated infant drops and the liquid suspension. Know which you are using. Good luck with the shots!

The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:08 PM

It sounds like you have children's Tylenol, not infant. And I always would wait to see how the shots made DD feel. If she seemed to be fussy, then I would give her a dose later that day.

arigdon4
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM

i've gotten two bottles of "infant" and they both havethe same chart

Quoting The_Doodle:

It sounds like you have children's Tylenol, not infant. And I always would wait to see how the shots made DD feel. If she seemed to be fussy, then I would give her a dose later that day.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:13 PM

That's not the infant then.  Sometimes, the labels are very confusing.  There is a different once for infants that has a chart for up to 12 months.

But, I wouldn't use it anyway.  Tylenol has been shown to make the vaccines less/not effective.  So, if you're going to vaccinate, you shouldn't give the Tylenol.  Not for, I think 12 or 24 hours afterward.

Quoting arigdon4:

i've gotten two bottles of "infant" and they both havethe same chart

Quoting The_Doodle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)