Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

How To Get Baby To Stop Screaming? *piog*

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:21 PM
  • 8 Replies

I don't know if there is a solution for this, but my 7 month old screams all the time. Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but I do want to know if there's a way to discipline her. She is not in pain, she's not unhappy so those aren't the reasons she's doing it. She just randomly screams for no apparent reason. I say her name and say, "NO" very sternly, while making a stern face. I know she gets that it's not a nice face because she stops and looks at me, trying to figure it out. I'm just not sure if there is a way to discipline a baby so young, or if this is just a phase I have to let her go through. 

Anyone else go through this? How did you get it to stop? 

Thanks in advance for any advice. I read it all, even if I don't individually respond to you. 

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
victoriangavin
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:06 PM
She is most likely just checking her voice out.... My almost 6 month old does this almost non-stop and I just say his name, he turns around and smiles at me..... At 7 months they can't fully control their tone of voice and I don't think they can really control volume well yet either.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:08 PM

SHe's just having fun. One thing that helped my daughter out with the screeching was that, if I wanted her quiet, I would lean in and start whispering stuff in her ear. She would stop making noise to listen to it. I still do that in public if she starts getting loud and now she will start whispering back (she's 2.5).

merryvoice
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I kind of figured as much, I just wanted to see what you all had to say!

Quoting victoriangavin:

She is most likely just checking her voice out.... My almost 6 month old does this almost non-stop and I just say his name, he turns around and smiles at me..... At 7 months they can't fully control their tone of voice and I don't think they can really control volume well yet either.

merryvoice
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Hehe, I do that too! She loves when I whisper. Or I'll make a game out of saying, "Shhhh!" I shake my head at her and make goofy faces and it makes her laugh. 

Quoting The_Doodle:

SHe's just having fun. One thing that helped my daughter out with the screeching was that, if I wanted her quiet, I would lean in and start whispering stuff in her ear. She would stop making noise to listen to it. I still do that in public if she starts getting loud and now she will start whispering back (she's 2.5).

alliesaurus
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:17 PM

My nephew and niece did this when he was about 9 months and likely she just knows that she can get your attention.there isn't really a method of discipline for an infant. If it your attention she is trying to grab for no reason, maybe try not to give her any kind of recognition when she makes the noise. Or speak to her in a whisper so she'll have o quiet down to hear you.

she will outgrow it.

angela.bouchard
by Angela on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:37 AM

I wouldn't react to it at all. Don't smile at her, don't tell her no. If you react you're giving her attention, thus reinforcing the behavior. That's about all you can do at her age. I wouldn't try disciplining for it.

merryvoice
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I tried that tonight and it seemed to work, so I'm going to do it more.

Quoting angela.bouchard:

I wouldn't react to it at all. Don't smile at her, don't tell her no. If you react you're giving her attention, thus reinforcing the behavior. That's about all you can do at her age. I wouldn't try disciplining for it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
erikays
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Sounds like she's exploring her voice, I Love their little screeches hehe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)