Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starve a fever

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:20 AM
  • 10 Replies
I know I don't post here much, but I'm concerned. Does the concept of starving a fever apply to 7-8 month olds? Obviously I'm not starving my dd, but she's not wanting to eat much at all. Is this her body's way of fighting? Her temp is currently around 101. I gave her Advil which helped bring it down before, way better than Tylenol. Just looking for advice or reassurance! Thank you!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fields456
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:21 AM
As long as she is staying hydrated I wouldn't be too worried. If she wants to eat feed her. Don't debleratly starve er fever out. A feet of 101 isn't bad. She is prob either starting to get sick or is starting To teeth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skmehlebam
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:23 AM
Do not ever starve a fever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Augmama2be
by New Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:24 AM
It's a virus, my two year old has it too. I definitely offer her to eat as much as she wants and she has wet diapers. Thank you! That made me feel better!

Quoting Fields456:

As long as she is staying hydrated I wouldn't be too worried. If she wants to eat feed her. Don't debleratly starve er fever out. A feet of 101 isn't bad. She is prob either starting to get sick or is starting To teeth
Fields456
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:29 AM
Your welcome. Hope she feels better soon. If she refuses liquids for more than about. 12 hours or so 24 hrs max ( any liquids ). Take her in

Quoting Augmama2be:

It's a virus, my two year old has it too. I definitely offer her to eat as much as she wants and she has wet diapers. Thank you! That made me feel better!

Quoting Fields456:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Feed her as normal. I wouldn't even medicate for that fever.
angela.bouchard
by Angela on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Just offer. As long as she is hydrated she can eat as much or as little as she wants to.
louzannalady
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Fevers below 104 do not need a fever reducer! Fevers are the body's way of kill bacteria and viruses. When the fever is reduced before it finishes its job, then the thing causing it gains an upper hand. The fever will then have to be higher and the body to work harder to kill the bacteria/virus. Unless there are complications, it is generally best to keep kiddo fed, hydrated and dressed warmly. Our mothers were told fevers are bad and to "break" them. We now know they rarely get high enough to harm the body and serve important purposes to HELP the body! : ) I would only give meds for pain, if all other comfort measures fail. I never give it for the fever itself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crabtreemommy
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Let her feed as much as she wants. She probably doesn't feel well. Just keep offering her meals and keep an eye on her wet diaper situation. Hydration is the key!
louzannalady
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/childrens-health/articles/2011/02/28/kids-fevers-may-not-always-need-treatment

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudMom2634
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Never starve a fever, get her intake fluid as much as possible it will help lower her temp.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)