Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Feeding an 8 month old?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:35 AM
  • 12 Replies

So DD is officially 8 months old as of this weekend. She LOVES feeding herself. So I've got two questions:

1. She's eating table food now, so how much formula should she be taking now? She is on a sippy cup and has about 3 6-7oz cups a day plus sippy cups of water with her finger foods.

2. What are some other good foods to give her to make sure she is getting all the vitamins and calories that she needs? She usually eats a piece of toast with butter and yogurt for breakfast, veggies of some sort for lunch (usually baby puree's), and depending on what we have for supper she may have table food like pizza or fried rice and small pieces of chicken. She has 2 teeth on bottom and is very good at mashing things between her gums already.

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Until she is 1, formula should still be her main source of nutrition. . . I believe it's 24-32ounces/day, but I breastfeed, so I'm not sure of that number.  Basically, until her birthday, she gets her formula first and then solid food.  Teeth don't matter - baby teeth are right under their gums, making it easy for them to gum pretty much everything  :)  You can give her whatever you are eating, minus things with honey and peanut butter.  I skipped the pureed food with my kids and went straight to table food.

KanPsMommy
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM

She still gets about 24oz of formula a day. I'm just afraid to give her some things we eat. I gave her pizza and she loved it but the entire time I was like "what if she allergic to something or chokes". I was never this afraid with my first daughter.

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Until she is 1, formula should still be her main source of nutrition. . . I believe it's 24-32ounces/day, but I breastfeed, so I'm not sure of that number.  Basically, until her birthday, she gets her formula first and then solid food.  Teeth don't matter - baby teeth are right under their gums, making it easy for them to gum pretty much everything  :)  You can give her whatever you are eating, minus things with honey and peanut butter.  I skipped the pureed food with my kids and went straight to table food.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Food at this point is fun!  Do NOT limit or take away the formula she is currently drinking.  Just make sure you are giving her healthy options and not pushing food.  :)  My lil chunker is 7.5mos and LOVES to feed himself.  I do not do purees and he won't eat them anyway.  

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM

avacados, olives, soft fruits diced or in sticks, hard fruits can be baked or steamed until soft, baked sweet potato or fries, diced chicken, pork, fish, ground meats, noodles, shredded or thinly sliced/sticks of cheese, beans, peas, rice, egg, carrots steamed/baked/boiled, pretty much anything you eat if it's diced or in stick form they can/will eat.  My niece didn't have any teeth until 15 months and ate all table foods from 8 months old on.

abra
by Abra on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:03 PM

This is the way my 10 month old is! If he can feed himself, he's all for it! Haha! So I just keep nutrient rich food around. Mostly fruits and veggies, some dairy and some carbs. Basically, I just offer a wide variety of foods and he decides whether he wants to eat it or play with it. :-) For formula, I feed it on demand. I'm not entirely sure how much he drinks a day, but he's perfectly healthy so I'm not concerned about it. :-)

Quoting rHOPEb:

Food at this point is fun!  Do NOT limit or take away the formula she is currently drinking.  Just make sure you are giving her healthy options and not pushing food.  :)  My lil chunker is 7.5mos and LOVES to feed himself.  I do not do purees and he won't eat them anyway.  

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Formula should be the main food source. Let her go to down on fruits and veggies. My DD loved green beans and avocado at that age. Oh and banana

KanPsMommy
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I haven't cut back on her formula, I just didn't want to be "over feeding" her. She's a little chunk at almost 17lbs lol.

Monica_0812
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:05 AM
She should be taking no less than 24 & no more than 32. There are great websites with tons of great ideas for healthy finger foods.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elliotmommytobe
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:16 AM
No offense but isnt 17lbs at 8months small? My ds is 16lbs 2oz at 7months and hes considered small

Quoting KanPsMommy:

I haven't cut back on her formula, I just didn't want to be "over feeding" her. She's a little chunk at almost 17lbs lol.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KanPsMommy
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:53 AM

It might be. Everyone tells me she's so big, but she is smaller than my oldest was at that age. Although ODD has always been taller than average so she's allowed to weigh more than average kids her age. Doctor's say she's on track, she's just rolly to me lol.

Quoting elliotmommytobe:

No offense but isnt 17lbs at 8months small? My ds is 16lbs 2oz at 7months and hes considered small

Quoting KanPsMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN