Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Time out??

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM
  • 10 Replies

So my in laws came up for my son's 1st birthday. DS hadn't had a nap all day because he was excited to see his Grandma, Grandpa and Aunt, so he was tired. We go out to eat, and he was a little fussy.  Not horribly so, but enough where I took him outside for a walk while everyone ate so he could calm down.  I didn't get a single bite of my dinner.

My father-in-law then tells my mom how I should put ds in time out.  He's a year old!  He wouldn't understand the concept of time out.  What point is time out if they can't appreciate that they are doing something wrong??  I handled the situation - I removed him from the restaurant so he didn't bother anyone.  What else could I do??  So now I feel like crap because he doesn't think I handled it correctly and his kids 'would never do that'

Is he right? Wrong?  What are your thoughts?

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauratupper
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM

How were you suppose to put him in time out at a resturant? I would have done the same thing you did, just took my ds outside to calm down.

robibuni
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:02 PM

How is a 12 month old able to even begin to grasp the concept of time out? They're still very much a baby at that age. Not only that, but where do you put a baby in time out at a restaurant?

You did the right thing. When DD2 spazzes in public, I pick her up and remove her from the situation, usually outside so she can calm down, and perhaps nurse, and then we'll assess the situation from there.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM
A 12 month old cannot grasp a concept of time outs and I personally don't believe 12 month olds are "bad" enough to even require discipline like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirstina
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM
He is only 12 months and was put tired. It was not his fault.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyofSoso
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you handled it perfectly.  He isn't old enough to understand time out, not to mention he was tired and while I'm not blaming you, its not his fault he didn't get a nap.  And as far as his kids never doing that, he probably just doesn't remember that.  No kid is perfectly behaved all the time and in every situation, especially babies.

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM
A one year old wouldnt have any uunderstanding of a time out or why it was happening. It would just confuse them and theyd learn nothing from it. Way tol early for that kind of punishment.
SaraSnider
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM
He is a bit young for time out! Lol I just gave my dd her first time out 2 days ago and she is 21 and half months
funnygirlecu
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM

time out can work for a child that is one-year-old but its more of  using repition, to get the child to associate doing something with a bad consquences.

Child tries to climb on table put in play pen. Child tries it again, put in play pen. Child doesn't like pplay pen and so won't get on the table at some point. children that young can learn.

However, your child needed a nap, so timeout wouldn't apply in this situation.

Mel0dy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I think your FIL is crazy lol he does not sound like he knows anything about babys

Edit....... I did put dd on "timeout" at the age lol but it was for me to have a minute to calm  down (she was a really really bad biter) but i agree at the age it wont work 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Quoting lauratupper:

How were you suppose to put him in time out at a resturant? I would have done the same thing you did, just took my ds outside to calm down.

I agree

And time-outs don't work when they don't understand time outs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)