Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Piercing little baby ears!?!

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM
  • 70 Replies

I wanna hear your thoughts!!

My husband and I have been debating this....I was made to wait until I was 13, and BAWLED my eyes out!!
I was so freaked out...my cousin was 16 when she finally got hers done and they freaked her out too!

Whereas my friend had her baby girls done at 6 months, and she cried for a minute and was fine.

What do you think? Which is better??
Is it cruel to babies??

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lydias_mommy12
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:13 PM
6 moms liked this
My df and I decided to wait until our dd is old enough to ask for it. Many women in my family, including myself, are allergic to some types of jewelry and never know what will irritate us so that's the main reason we decided to wait. I don't see it as cruel to get a baby's ears pierced but i kind of think it's pointless. Just my opinion. Waiting will make it more special and teach her responsibility, as she will learn how to take care of it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aeneva
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I personally feel any body modification should be the choice of the owner of the body and only done when they are old enough to understand it and take care of it.  My son is intact and my daughter does not have earrings because of this beleif.  My cousin had her daughters done and as she grew her ears did not grow evenly and she had to let them grow shut and have them redone at 12 because they were so uneven it was ridiculous.  I was 13 for my first, 16 for my second, 18 for my third and don't remember my 4th.  When done by a professional there should be no freaking out about it.  

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM
3 moms liked this
Not my ears to pierce. When dd is older and can make the decision herself, she'll be brought to a *professional* piercer who uses needles, not some girl at a mall who receives no training and uses a nasty gun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexislovesjr
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I was 2 months old, My sis was 3 months, my 1st niece was 2 months, my 2nd was 3 years ol and she of course didnt take it well. I rather do it when they are small and wont know whats going on or remember feeling it.

_muffin_
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I will leave it up to my daughter. 

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I had my ears pierced at 7. I found out in my teens that i an allergic to nickel after i got my second holes.

I am having a girl within the month and i won't be piercing her ears until she can take care of them herself.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MinglingMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not risking it. I have a metal allergy and I'd hate to find out that LO has the same allergy if we did get them pierced. I'd also rather she make the decision on her own. I think it's important lesson in responsibility as a little girl... kind of like earning your stripes. lol.

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:48 PM
2 moms liked this

We're waiting until dd is old enough to make the decison herself.  It's her body to alter, not mine.

luvmymunchkins3
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM

We got my dd's done at 2 she is now 6 and loves them.if i would have any more girls i would have done the same thing

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I'm not a fan of it but I don't judge people who do it. I think it's a personal choice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN