Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

He wont sleep unless he's swaddled!

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:51 PM
  • 28 Replies
My son is 7 months and he still will not sleep unswaddled! He wont even sleep if his arms escape the swaddle so we have to either use the velcro swaddlers or safety pin the swaddle blanket and he has to be swaddled REALLY tightly.

I tried it again today and he made it about 15 minutes and that was the end of that!
He'll sleep in my arms after I've nursed him (but if I put him down its game over!!) and he sleeps in the car if he's really tired but thats it.

Did you swaddle your baby? For how long? How did you get them to sleep unswaddled?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Have you tried putting him on his tummy?   That was the trick for my kids.   :)

mandapanda82
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes and she's 6 mos and w dd #1!i did it Til she was about 10 mos! I think she just stopped needing it one day, it happened to be the same time that she outgrew the swaddlers!
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest DS was older than that when I could finally stop swaddling him.  Some babies just need that.  I think he was 1, or damn close to it.

PEEK05
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:02 PM

No sorry. I don't swaddle, even in the hospital.

bear.katten
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Yes. He immediately rolls onto his tummy while swaddled and sleeps MUCH longer that way but without the swaddle he wont sleep :-\

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Oh... yea, I stopped swaddling when it became clear that DD wanted to tummy sleep since I figured it wasn't safe unless she had control of her arms.  

Quoting bear.katten:

Yes. He immediately rolls onto his tummy while swaddled and sleeps MUCH longer that way but without the swaddle he wont sleep :-\

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
bear.katten
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:05 PM
He is already almost too big for the medium velcro swaddles and I havent found any large ones (just sleep sacks) and I cant find any swaddle blankets big enough for him anymore.

Quoting jackiewal10:

My oldest DS was older than that when I could finally stop swaddling him.  Some babies just need that.  I think he was 1, or damn close to it.

bear.katten
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:06 PM
He has no problem rolling back and forth while swaddled thankfully

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Oh... yea, I stopped swaddling when it became clear that DD wanted to tummy sleep since I figured it wasn't safe unless she had control of her arms.  

Quoting bear.katten:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Just get a large, thin cotton blanket.  It doesn't have to specifically be for swaddling.

Quoting bear.katten:

He is already almost too big for the medium velcro swaddles and I havent found any large ones (just sleep sacks) and I cant find any swaddle blankets big enough for him anymore.

Quoting jackiewal10:

NoahsMommy10412
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I swaddled my son for the first month or two and just stopped doing it one day and he was okay. He also always unswaddled himself anyways at night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)