Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

What to do when baby won't sleep?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM
  • 12 Replies

No medical problems that we know of, sleeps just fine until laid down in his crib, tried to get into a sleep routine. Assuming we've exhausted almost all options, then what do we do??   I have nursed him on my chest and that's the only thing that works so far.  Please help!!  I need as many different opinions or points of view that I can get!

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Monica_0812
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:18 AM
How old is baby? Have you considered co-sleeping.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frankiesma530
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM

We have been co-sleeping because of me nursing him but he's almost 7 months now and doesn't eat as often at night so we've been transitioning him in his crib now.  He was fine in it for a little while but the last few nights have been horrible.

twogirl91
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:54 AM

My oldest son didn't sleep through the night until he was a year old. My second son is 9 months old and still not sleeping through the night. This is completely normal for babies. We also co-sleep and I started trying to get them in their cribs at around 6 months old. My oldest son slept better in the crib, but my youngest son likes to cuddle with mommy. It's been 3 months and he's just now started to get okay with the crib. It takes time, there is no quick fix to get your baby to sleep through the night, even though I wish there was! Hang in there!

frankiesma530
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:59 AM

thanks!

Quoting twogirl91:

My oldest son didn't sleep through the night until he was a year old. My second son is 9 months old and still not sleeping through the night. This is completely normal for babies. We also co-sleep and I started trying to get them in their cribs at around 6 months old. My oldest son slept better in the crib, but my youngest son likes to cuddle with mommy. It's been 3 months and he's just now started to get okay with the crib. It takes time, there is no quick fix to get your baby to sleep through the night, even though I wish there was! Hang in there!

Redcodex
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM
I have Co-slept since birth, but when she was 6 months I tried to transition her to her crib. I used this site

http://www.ehow.com/how_2343429_wean-cosleeping-baby-bed.html

It's a long process, but it works. She's sleeping in her crib from 9pm till around 1am, then I bring her to bed with me. She did the same thing, was fine alone for a few nights, then figured out what was going on. So, tried this. Give it a shot. Good luck :)
MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
1) burping once doesn't mean he still isn't gassy 2) separation anxiety starts again at 6 months 3) infant massage with lavender bedtime lotion-start at feet, rub towards heart 4) white noise-standing Dan has added benefit of circulating air and reducing risk of SIDS and/or classical lullaby music on timer (stimulates brain development) 5) use a soft shirt that you have worn as the cover or sheet of the crib so the baby has Mommy scent for comfort 6) room darkening shade/curtain especially for daytime naps 7) schedule, schedule, schedule-- typically 2 hours up and 2 hours down 8) routine, routine, routine- babies feel secure when they know what to expect and helps them to wind down 9) TEETHING 10) you need to calm down because they sense it when you are tense 11) lay him with his head on your chest--heartbeat reminds him of sound in your womb 12) rock ins/swaying motion-- reminds of movement while in your womb 13) shushing sound--reminds of blood rushing sound while in womb 14) go for a walk outside-- fresh air can be soothing 15) warm breast milk **I work nights so I made sure the baby slept in the day because that was the only way I could sleep too!
MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:07 AM
4) FAN*
ldavis518
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Just put him outside and you wont hear him!! LOL Im totally just kidding, we always need a little humor when us new moms can feel like everything they do is wrong :( How old is he?? If age appropriate, swaddle him tightly with a blanket. It makes them feel tight, warm and safe, like in the womb.. Idk if you tried this or if anyone had even shown you what it is but it always worked for my daughter, who was severally colic!!!! Has he slept in his crib at all yet? My daughter started sleeping alone in her crib since she was 6 wks old and has been sleeping alone since then, (she will be 4yrs on the 18th) I started her that way with the swaddling. The same thing they do in the hospital with new borns. If you don't know how you can watch a Youtube video or I can explain it to you if you like :)

Eliots_momma
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I dont stress about it. Mine isnt on a schedule, he sleeps when he is sleepy. We also cosleep and he nurses down. I have never "fought" with him to go to sleep or lay down.

Monica_0812
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM
It can be frustrating but hang in there, my ds just turn 4 months and all of a sudden don't want to sleep at night he wakes up three times at night when before he was sleeping up to 8 hrs. it's driving me insane because i'm getting no rest. I think he might be going throught a grow spurn because he wants his bottle every 3 hrs at night. but no worries i'll get better is just a process.....best wishes!!

Quoting frankiesma530:

We have been co-sleeping because of me nursing him but he's almost 7 months now and doesn't eat as often at night so we've been transitioning him in his crib now.  He was fine in it for a little while but the last few nights have been horrible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN