Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Giving baby finger foods...

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM
  • 32 Replies
I feel so dumb asking this. DD doesn't have any teeth yet, but people keep telling me to give her some kind of small snack to pick up and eat. But, she needs teeth to chew...

I'm asking because the people telling me this know she doesn't have teeth, but keep telling me that I should do this, am I missing something here? She's 7 months old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
raehalstead
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:26 AM

you could try giving her those finger food snacks that dissolve. Babies dont need teeth for those, they can just gum them down. :) I started my kids on those and they loved them. You can find them at walmart, target. I found those to be perfect and they now have all kinds of flavors. Look in the baby section at walmart.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM

They don't need any teeth to eat finger foods. They have powerful jaws, and lots of saliva.

My kids never had purees or cereals. When we started solids, they went straight to whatever we were eating. I started them on solids between 7-10 months, as soon as they could pick up chunks of food and feed themselves. They did not get any teeth until 11.5-12 months.

blapier
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM
My dd didn't get teeth until she was 11 months old. Their gums are hard enough like teeth to be able to mash things up. As long as it's not like a raw carrot or something else like that it's fine. Soft cooked veggies or fruits, cheerios, toast, anything like that is perfectly fine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Megan11587
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Try Cheerios. They dissolve pretty quickly.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:38 AM
No need for teeth to eat table food :)
My dd didn't get her first tooth until she was 14 months old, but was eating soft/steamed chunks of fruits and veggies and small shredded chunks of meat by 7 months old! Babies chew with their very powerful gums, purees are never needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Salem2012
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:43 AM

They dont need teeth to chew....they can gum things down.

Eliots_momma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I started with bls despite the fact ds didnt have teeth. He never choked and we gave him any and all veggies, fruits, beans and meats.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Teeth aren't necessary for eating. Offer soft fruits, cooked veggies, and tender meats:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

She doesn't need teeth, have you ever been bit by a toothless baby? I'd almost rather teeth. Give soft hing he can gum

Marimaru
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:29 PM

You could steam some carrots and dice them, or fruits too.  I gave Valerie a slice of apple to chew on.  She never got any bites, but it was something with flavor for her to gum at while I ate my dinner :).  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)