Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Separation anxiety?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM
  • 8 Replies

I really don't think that it's separation anxiety, but I can't think of anything else to call it.

My four month old DD has decided, in just the past week, that she hates her paternal grandfather. Or is at least scared of him. When we saw him last Wednesday, February 27, she was fine; she was happy, cooing, everything she normally does. But on Sunday, when we went to DF's grandma's house (her great-grandmother), every time we tried to give her to him, she'd take one look and scream bloody murder. She did the same thing to his brothers, too (DF's uncles), but had no problem with her great-grandma or DF's aunts.

This Wednesday, the 6th, we again went to Grandpa's house, like we have for weeks, and she did the same thing, even when he didn't try to hold her. I had her on the floor and he got down to play with her and she started fussing. He has seen her at least once a week, most of the time twice, since she was born. We have no other males near by to see if she would it it with them; my family lives five hours from us. But she has no problem with DF's mother, who she sees almost everyday, and is, if anything, becoming even more of a Daddy's Girl than she has been.

Does anybody have any theories? She has a doctor appointment next week, and if this trend continues, I will ask about it, but is it anything to worry about, or is it just a phase that she's going through and will outgrow? She's been fussy in general all week, too, if that makes any difference.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Stranger anxiety. Totally normal. Some babies prefer people of a certain sex... Ds1 hated any woman but me for a couple years, but loved his grandpa.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mnmbaby
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Stranger anxiety works. I remember when I was a toddler being afraid of my grandparents who I only saw a few times a year. I guess Grandpa's just going to have to deal with it for now. I see his face when she does it, and it looks like he's upset about it. Granted, DF's parents are split up  and we live with MIL, so he may think she's trying to brainwash her or something. (I know that's not really possible at this age, but that's the way they are to each other)

CelestialSong
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Very normal! For a while my daughter would even cry when my husband tried to take her for a while! And anyone else trying to hold her - forget about it! She did come around to the females in my family faster than the males, now that I think of it. I'm sure that's normal too. Don't force her, eventually she'll grow out of it and go back to loving everyone in her family :)

Hopefully everyone can understand that it isn't personal, she doesn't hate them, and it's a phase that will pass.

lauratupper
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Sounds normal to me.

rugayah
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:54 PM
My 5month old is like that with family she don't get to see often. We stay with my in laws and she don't take to grandpa either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Stranger danger kicking in . My ds screamed at any unknown man that approached him except his dad and his best friend( his wife babysits when we need one)he is still iffy until he gets an ok from us. 

victoriangavin
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:44 PM
I agree witht he stranger danger concept and babies memories of people don't last as long as you would expect. My son did that for a week or so every time his grandma or grandpa would try to hold him and he see's them every day.. It happened at about 4 to 5 months also.. Now he's willing to go to a complete stranger and TRYS not fond of that
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mnmbaby
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Thanks for the help. Now comes the explaining.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN