• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GET A GREAT WORKOUT -- SITTING ON YOUR COUCH

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:29 PM
  • 14 Replies
2 moms liked this

Finally! Here's a workout for slackers that actually works. If you find it tough to motivate yourself to get off the sofa, you're going to love this one ...

"Lazy" might not be a word I would like to use to describe myself, but frankly, it's pretty accurate. I'd rather nap than run and will always choose to hit happy hour instead of hatha yoga.

But despite my complete aversion to working out, I am aware I need some sort of exercise program if I want to live a non-bedridden life. Enter: this couch workout (or couch-ercising, as I like to call it). 

Yes, it is actually entirely possible to get a decent workout without ever leaving that indented spot on your couch where you always plop. I asked personal trainers, pilates instructors, and physical therapists for exercise routines that not only can be done at home, but can be done with your butt firmly planted on a sofa (well, for most of the moves at least).

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:30 PM

• SEATED SCISSORS

Tara Zimliki, personal trainer and bootcamp instructor in New Jersey says this move targets both your legs and stomach -- a double whammy. And if you move your arms at the same time you can add in even more muscles.

abra
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:30 PM

TRICEP DIPS

Jolene Matthews, celebrity personal trainer for "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" says this move is the No. 1 way to tone arms and shoulders. Since the triceps are such small muscles, you'll fatigue them fast -- and those pretty, little tank top arms will start to emerge.

abra
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:31 PM

CALF AND TOE RAISES

This move comes from Heidi Mills, a sports rehabilitator and personal trainer in Norwich, England. It's an easy way to tone your calf muscles without missing any plot points in your show.

abra

• ARM EXTENSIONS

Donna Hawley, a personal trainer and personal chef in Washington D.C., says this move works all the muscles in your shoulders and is one of the best for getting immediate results.

abra

PILLOW ROTATIONS

Jenn Zerling, author of "Breaking the Chains of Obesity," loves this highly effective move because it's a core exercise that'll strengthen more than just your abs.

abra
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:32 PM

BANANA/APPLE CRUNCHES

Julie Carlson Howard, Fitness Director for MCAS Miramar in San Diego, Calif. recommends this move for a tough ab workout that's pretty fun too.

MunchiesMom324
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Love it!

lauratupper
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Thanks!

mandapanda82
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Cool! I like lazy exercise! I'm actually gonna try billy blanks tae bo. Funny story, I'm born and raised in Erie, pa... And my dad actually told me I'm related to this Billie blanks somehow! Like his sister is married to his brother or something?? Idk ! Something absurd like that! Hey it's a small world!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
abra
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:38 PM

that's awesome! I hate working out for the sake of just working out. I set myself up with a really relaxed routine for toning where I just do 4 sets of 25 core repitions a day (as I think of them). It takes me around 3 minutes and I'm already noticing a difference. Thankfully, with 4 kids, I don't really need a cardio routine as I get a lot of cardio just hanging out with them! 

Quoting mandapanda82:

Cool! I like lazy exercise! I'm actually gonna try billy blanks tae bo. Funny story, I'm born and raised in Erie, pa... And my dad actually told me I'm related to this Billie blanks somehow! Like his sister is married to his brother or something?? Idk ! Something absurd like that! Hey it's a small world!

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)