Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those who had tummy sleepers...

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:50 PM
  • 11 Replies

For those who had tummy sleepers, how did you not worry about SIDS? My son was a tummy sleeper during infancy but not until 8 months old and my first daughter never did until over the age of 1. My 3 week old daughter seems to do better on her stomach due to gas issues, but I worry so much about SIDS!!! At least at 8 months my son could roll over if he couldn't breathe or something. At night she sleeps on her side next to me but on the day with supervision, would she be okay on her stomach? I am freaking out a little bit.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rHOPEb
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I put the monitor in the crib so I could hear the baby sleeping.  BOTH of my kids were and still are tummy sleepers.  Daughter is over 4yr and Son is almost 8mos.  However they are comfy let them sleep, just monitor closely so they don't suffocate.  Neither of mine would sleep on their backs!  Oh....and congrats on your newest addition!!!! :)

bebe_ju-rah
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM
My 7 week old is a tummy sleeper. It helps that he snores. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jesuschild06
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Me and my mom were having a conversation about this just the other day. I plan on letting my baby decide how it wants to sleep. SIDS can happen anywhere at anytime. The definition is not "sufficated by crib mattress". Its what is used when they dont know what caused baby to stop breathing.

My mom knew a lady who had a 6 month old who died from SIDS. They were taking a stroll home from the babysitters back home in the stroller. It was warm out so there was no blanket or coat or anything. Baby was fine when they left, not 5 minutes later, when they got home baby had died from SIDS. There was nothing there to sufficate baby. 

With that being said, if you take the neccessary precautions when laying baby on tummy to sleep, then the risks lower tremendously. No blankets. No pillows or toys, or bumper pad, etc. Keep monitor there and keep an eye on baby.

If you are just going to let baby sleep on tummy during the day while you are awake and there to watch, then all is fine. 

Congrats :)

lauratupper
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Because of a medical condition my ds had to sleep on his side or stomach, he couldn't sleep on his back. And it just didn't worry me, he mostly slept on his side next to me, and his face was always towards me so I could feel and hear him breathing.

PEEK05
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:13 PM

That's exactly how we sleep at night. :)

During the day though, I noticed she sleeps better on her side in her swing or her stomach on the bed (I have only laid her down on the sheet and moved blankets/pillows away just to help me not worry as much lol).

Quoting lauratupper:

Because of a medical condition my ds had to sleep on his side or stomach, he couldn't sleep on his back. And it just didn't worry me, he mostly slept on his side next to me, and his face was always towards me so I could feel and hear him breathing.

PEEK05
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:13 PM

That's so sad.

& thank you for your response. :)

Quoting jesuschild06:

Me and my mom were having a conversation about this just the other day. I plan on letting my baby decide how it wants to sleep. SIDS can happen anywhere at anytime. The definition is not "sufficated by crib mattress". Its what is used when they dont know what caused baby to stop breathing.

My mom knew a lady who had a 6 month old who died from SIDS. They were taking a stroll home from the babysitters back home in the stroller. It was warm out so there was no blanket or coat or anything. Baby was fine when they left, not 5 minutes later, when they got home baby had died from SIDS. There was nothing there to sufficate baby. 

With that being said, if you take the neccessary precautions when laying baby on tummy to sleep, then the risks lower tremendously. No blankets. No pillows or toys, or bumper pad, etc. Keep monitor there and keep an eye on baby.

If you are just going to let baby sleep on tummy during the day while you are awake and there to watch, then all is fine. 

Congrats :)

lauratupper
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:25 PM

We slept like that for a really long time lol. When he was younger he prefered me to hold him during naps, so I would usually sit in the rocking chair and hold him and watch a movie or read while he slept. I would put him in sling if I had to do something though. He's 3 now and is still a tummy sleeper.

Quoting PEEK05:

During the day though, I noticed she sleeps better on her side in her swing or her stomach on the bed (I have only laid her down on the sheet and moved blankets/pillows away just to help me not worry as much lol).

Quoting lauratupper:

PEEK05
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Yeah most of the time she sleeps in my arms, but when I need to change my son's diaper or make meals for the kids, i transfer her somewhere else. :)

Quoting lauratupper:

We slept like that for a really long time lol. When he was younger he prefered me to hold him during naps, so I would usually sit in the rocking chair and hold him and watch a movie or read while he slept. I would put him in sling if I had to do something though. He's 3 now and is still a tummy sleeper.

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting lauratupper:

jennelise83
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:06 AM
A couple I knew from school lost their 14 month old to SIDS. SIDS is the cause of death that is listed when a child does for seemingly no reason. There are things you can do to Leo prevent it, however if an infant is going to pass away from it it's going to happen , even if they're put to sleep on the floor of an empty room.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amanda_mom89
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:10 AM
I worried about it but what was. I to do? Flip her over every 5 seconds? I did everything else I was supposed to so I felt like that was just a battle I wasn't going to win.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)