Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Similac Go and Grow 9-24 months

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:53 AM
  • 17 Replies

So I was considering the sucess extended breastfeeding mommas have and wondered if the same could be said about extended formula feeding. I am not refering to extended bottle feeding which is bad for their teeth, etc. I would put formula in a sippy cup. I am speaking nutritionally, if breastfed infants need it, doesn't it stand to reason the formula fed infants do too?

I compared the facts to see the difference between the Go and Grow and their newborn formula, it contains more vitamins.

I'm a Roman Catholic Christian, volunteer for League of Animal Protectors, cross-stitching, Certified Dog Trainer, green living, book reading, frugal, young wife, college student and mom to Evalynn 8yr, Ashley 7yr, Trey 2yr, and Hailey 1 year, and "mom" to 2 indoor only cats & 1 toy poodle and Pekingese!

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Breast milk changes to fit baby's needs and beyond.  It is taylored made for the child.  Formula does not change because it can't. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

LavenderMom23
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Which is ehy I would use the 9-24 months formula with different nutritional amounts listed on the back. So that it would 'change' having bought a different kind for older babies.

Quoting Mom2Just1:

Breast milk changes to fit baby's needs and beyond.  It is taylored made for the child.  Formula does not change because it can't. 

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Use it then.  I wouldn't simply because I have never formula fed a child.  After a year a formula fed child would be better served to eat actual food with healthy ingredients.  Formula's incredients are too scary for me to even offer it to my child. I know what exactly is in my breast milk.    

Quoting LavenderMom23:

Which is ehy I would use the 9-24 months formula with different nutritional amounts listed on the back. So that it would 'change' having bought a different kind for older babies.

Quoting Mom2Just1:

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:03 PM
2 moms liked this
This.
It also offers immune and digestive support, and oleic acid- which is essential for brain growth and development.
Formula doesn't offer any of those things. The toddler formulas have lower levels of things like iron than the baby formula.

Quoting Mom2Just1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Ummm no. Have you researched the downside of formula at all? It's not even the best second choice it's just the easiest to find and most heavily advertised.

You'd be better off getting donor milk from a mother nursing a toddler. No one NEEDS milk, other then HUMAN milk. We're aren't baby cows, formula IS heavily modified cow's milk.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittanyx22
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:23 PM
I wouldn't do it. Formula doesn't have the nutrients that kids need past a year. You'd be better off just feeding your child real food.
norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:28 PM
I think a diet of whole real food and lots of healthy fats would be better than extended formula. I would look at the sugar content in the formula for older kids. I bet they add sugar to make it taste better. I personally wouldn't so it because of cost and I feel real food is more important.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LavenderMom23
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:00 PM
I couldn't breastfeed bc she broke out with my breast milk and the dietary restrictions would not have sustained us both with her multiple food allergies. So formula was our only option, but she did breastfeed the first two months before the colustrum stopped preventing break outs. I do feed a variety of produce to her currently
and we are just now testing for any outgrowth of her many allergies.
stargaze281
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM

when my ds turned 1 I switched to whole milk, so he still drinks it.

ceckyl
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM
There are studdies that show the longer a child is exposed to formula, the higher their chance of getting cancer (leukemia I believe)

Also, there is no elimination diet that would have not 'sustained' the both of you. Some people go years only eating chicken and rice ecause their babies have such severe allergies. Although I'm not really sure what type of allergies your LO has if they can easily drink normal formula.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)