Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

My uncle (who lives with us) is against me breastfeeding in public!

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM
  • 46 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you support Breastfeeding in public?

Options:

Yes! It is better for mom and baby.

Yes, but you should cover yourself up.

No, You should stay at home the whole year while you are breastfeeding

mixed emotions about the subject

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 114

View Results

The big talk on the news for me is about a breastfeeding bill that they are trying to get passed in Austin. I was watching the story and I just found out I am having a boy (yay!) I fully intend to breastfeed since I didn't get to with my first one since he went straight into NICU for two weeks and was in a oxygen bubble (I pumped so he got milk from me for about a month in a half or so but since I didn't feel that closeness I think thats why my milk dried up.) I got info about breast feeding and am looking into pumps. When I saw about moms getting kicked out of buisnesses because they are breastfeeding in public I thought "wow I want to be able to go out and feed my baby when he needs it without discrimination" So I mentioned it to my uncle and he said "women need to stay their asses at home I don't want to see women out there feeding their babies, they belong at home doing that" I was shocked and said "well I plan on breastfeeding what about if I wanna go out?" He responded "Where could you possibly need or want to go after you have the baby? NO you are gonna stay at home and feed the baby not be out there where everyone can see you." Wow all I can say about him is Stupid Old Man!!!! I mean it's not like I am just gonna whip out my boob I plan to cover myself with a blanket. They talk about women being modest and trust me I take that into consideration. Some malls and other shopping places acttually have rooms for breast feeding (I hate when they lock it behind them, had alot of problems with that with my first when I tried to find a spot to pump) I don't think my uncle is going to be pursuaded anytime soon to change his way of thought he is almost 70 and set in his ways. My husband supports my breast feeding and he said he has no problem about me breastfeeding in public "hey babies gotta eat!" is what he said (Love that man!) he did say make sure you take a blanket for cover, which I intend to do. What can be done about my uncle? Really in my opinion he can kiss my @$$.

shruggingeye rolling

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
staciexo
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:07 PM
3 moms liked this

Who cares what he thinks. Just feed that baby wherever you are! 

tyrelsmom
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:43 PM
His house or yours?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I didn't vote because none of the options exactly apply to my opinion, but it's none of your uncle's business how or where you feed your baby. Sounds like he needs to acknowledge that it's not 1934.......

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Sounds like your uncle needs to butt out. Feed your baby how you choose, not by bitter old men.
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:20 PM
I feel more comfortablr covering when feeding, BUT u see more boob in a bikini than breastfeeding. And that is natural! So if ur for not covering, dont
hannahisawesome
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I wish it were more common to see women breastfeeding in public. 

spotsmom
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:34 PM
2 moms liked this

You said it...he can kiss your ass. What does it matter what he thinks, anyway? Please, the man ACTUALLY said he thinks women should stay home after they have a baby...not from work, from ANYWHERE. He really seemed to be implying that women have very little reason to go out in public at all after having a baby, so breastfeeding in public is unecessary. He's clearly senile. Let him grumble and gripe all he wants, fortunately his opinion on the matter is not important to anyone but him. 

abra
by Abra on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm all for breastfeeding in public politely. If you are polite enough, nobody cares whether you are breastfeeding or not. 

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

abra
by Abra on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:55 PM

So you are saying what others do is the standard we all should live by? That would be an interesting rule to apply for people in prison. 

Quoting sahmw2010:

I feel more comfortablr covering when feeding, BUT u see more boob in a bikini than breastfeeding. And that is natural! So if ur for not covering, dont

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

AkashaGermaine
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Neither of my kids tolerated covers. Tell him he can kiss it and do what you need to do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN