Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Six weeks

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:42 PM
  • 13 Replies

My dd is 6 weeks old, and she is up to 4 oz, and after she is done she wants more. As soon as I take the bottle out she cries. I don't think my baby's is getting full. Can I over feed her? How much does/did your lo eat at this age?

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Yes you can overfeed her.  Most pediatricians will tell you 24 oz. is about how much they should take in one day.  You need to find other ways to soothe her, as she is probably not hungry.  There can be a huge number of reasons why she is cranky after eating a bottle or taking it away from her.  Perhaps she needs to suck, maybe she wants to cuddle, maybe she's tired, maybe she's gassy, maybe she needs to burp, etc. 6 weeks is also prime time for a growth spurt, so she may just be fussy for a couple days regardless.

NoahsMommy10412
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:46 PM

My son does that now and he's almost 6 weeks. He'll eat a full 8 ounces and cry when I take the bottle away. I just put his binky in his mouth and he's alright. 

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:49 PM

It's a growth spurt.   Do small, frequent feeds and be sure to scale the bottles back down when she calms down again.

lauratupper
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Quoting SewingMamaLele:

It's a growth spurt.   Do small, frequent feeds and be sure to scale the bottles back down when she calms down again.

CROBERSON
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Thank you ladies. I know all babies are different, but my other two were not like this.

Cheyennesmommy4
by Christina on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Charlie is 8 weeks and eats about 4-5 oz during the day and then almost 7oz at night.

lovinmama411
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Maybe just give her one extra ounce and after that try and give her a pacifier or something else.

raehalstead
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM

could be a growth spurt? some babies with gas can't tell if they need to burp or it they are still hungry. Make sure you are burbing her good and if she is still hungry then feed her :) some babies eat more then others. My now 4month old ate like what you are describing about you little one and she was just hungry.

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Probably a growth spurt. That one was hell for us because I nursed every hour.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM
I feed on demand (even with formula) and its never been a problem.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN