Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

grandparents charging to babysit?

Posted by   + Show Post

do u think they should?

my mom charges us and i kinda think its B.S b/c i raised my brother was robbed of my childhood and didnt get paid!!! she says how much she loves her time with him so why charge me? doesnt she remember the hell she put me thru?!?!

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Replies (51-60):
Beautifulmom513
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:32 PM

my kids grandparents don't charge. and they would be extremely offended if we offered them money or tried to pay the. I don't think grandparents should be paid to watch their grandchildren unless its like an all the time thing so they can work or something.

sjenkins8208
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:35 PM
To me, that's weird and would be rude. My parents haven't and wouldn't ask for money. It's silly. We did give them $200, but only because they watched our ds for a whole week, and is was more for doing fun stuff with him, or incase anything happened.
bellygirl
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I think it's ridiculous!  A grandparent should feel privileged and honored to watch their grandkids.  In your case, it's the least she can do.  Does she have another job or opportunity to work?  Would she be working if she wasn't sitting for you?  I can understand if your mom needed the money and would have to work otherwise.  My aunt baby sits my kids.  She charges me $25/ day.  I've 3 year old twin boys.  She's a hard ass too.  If I'm 10 minutes late, she's calling.  We are very close too.  I take the kids to her and pick them up.  She never has to leave her house.  I'm super busy.  I'm a teacher, I coach track and work part time bar catering.  Once in a while I'll ask her to meet me at my school to bring the kids and she refuses.  I just feel like family should, ya know, do more and expect less $, b/c they are family.  Especially grandpartents.  

AutymsMommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Did the grandparents decide to pop out the babies (the grandchildren)? No. They aren't responsible for them, nor should they feel obligated to BE responsible for them.

Entitlement generation right here ladies...

Quoting bellygirl:

I think it's ridiculous!  A grandparent should feel privileged and honored to watch their grandkids.  In your case, it's the least she can do.  Does she have another job or opportunity to work?  Would she be working if she wasn't sitting for you?  I can understand if your mom needed the money and would have to work otherwise.  My aunt baby sits my kids.  She charges me $25/ day.  I've 3 year old twin boys.  She's a hard ass too.  If I'm 10 minutes late, she's calling.  We are very close too.  I take the kids to her and pick them up.  She never has to leave her house.  I'm super busy.  I'm a teacher, I coach track and work part time bar catering.  Once in a while I'll ask her to meet me at my school to bring the kids and she refuses.  I just feel like family should, ya know, do more and expect less $, b/c they are family.  Especially grandpartents.  

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

twogirl91
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:27 PM

how often is she babysitting for you? If she is watching your kids while you work or all the time during the week, then I think it's more than fair for her to charge you, but if it's like a couple hour a week or she just wants to spend time with them I think that's kind of odd.

supercarp
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe she thinks it's to prevent you from taking advantage of her.

Amybelle
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:41 PM

#1. Sorry Sweet-Cheeks she doesn't OWE you anything

#2. If she "put you through hell" why on earth would you want her to watch your child?

Amybelle
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:43 PM

HOLY ISH you are Un-grateful!!!!

Quoting bellygirl:

bellygirl
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:34 PM

And you are judgemental and have no idea what you are talking about.  I pay my aunt's house taxes for her.  Give her advancement in money.  She lives 40 minutes away from where we live.  My husband takes them in A.M. and I pick up.  Which puts me behind schedule.  We are doing her a favor by driving 40 minutes EACH WAY everyday and paying her.  What I really want to do is take my kids out of her house and put them in a daycare close to my work.  However, we are her only income.  Ungrateful my ass.  When you pay someone, you're allowed to dictate how things work.  I am, afterall, her only income.  She doesn't have to pay taxes and I don't get to claim my daycare on my taxes.  She asks me to babysit her granddaughter, she's the same age as my oldest son, on the weekends when her step-son has to work.  I would never, ever think of charging them, ever.   

Quoting Amybelle:

Quoting bellygirl:

Amybelle
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Uh-huh....Not on the books so she doesn't qualify for Social Security or Un-Employment. $25.00 a day is DIRT Cheap for 2 children.

Quoting bellygirl:

And you are judgemental and have no idea what you are talking about.  I pay my aunt's house taxes for her.  Give her advancement in money.  She lives 40 minutes away from where we live.  My husband takes them in A.M. and I pick up.  Which puts me behind schedule.  We are doing her a favor by driving 40 minutes EACH WAY everyday and paying her.  What I really want to do is take my kids out of her house and put them in a daycare close to my work.  However, we are her only income.  Ungrateful my ass.  When you pay someone, you're allowed to dictate how things work.  I am, afterall, her only income.  She doesn't have to pay taxes and I don't get to claim my daycare on my taxes.  She asks me to babysit her granddaughter, she's the same age as my oldest son, on the weekends when her step-son has to work.  I would never, ever think of charging them, ever.   

Quoting Amybelle:

Quoting bellygirl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)