Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

grandparents charging to babysit?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM
  • 60 Replies

do u think they should?

my mom charges us and i kinda think its B.S b/c i raised my brother was robbed of my childhood and didnt get paid!!! she says how much she loves her time with him so why charge me? doesnt she remember the hell she put me thru?!?!

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boshs1andonly
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:35 PM
2 moms liked this
A one time thing, probably not. But on a regular basis yes. They are grandparents not built in babysitters. I understand your case is a little different and I know where you're coming from. I've done a lot of free babysitting for my sister at my moms insistence and I'll never be repaid for that because I don't trust her to babysit and my mom has enough on her plate. In most situations I don't get why people seem to think family means free babysitting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Depends on how often. If its daily or every week and they're paying for meals for the child/ren then yes, you should pay. Its not their duty to help raise your children. If its once in a while and they want to/ask to, then no.
Raeann11
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM

That is up to them. Some people don't care if they get paid or not and some feel you need to.

kirstina
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM
If they are watching them while I work then I pay. When we go out for a few hours then no I dont pay. If its all night we pay.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 6:14 PM
I agree

Quoting boshs1andonly:

A one time thing, probably not. But on a regular basis yes. They are grandparents not built in babysitters. I understand your case is a little different and I know where you're coming from. I've done a lot of free babysitting for my sister at my moms insistence and I'll never be repaid for that because I don't trust her to babysit and my mom has enough on her plate. In most situations I don't get why people seem to think family means free babysitting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erikays
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:43 PM
It's really up to them, I'm not really in that situation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marimaru
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:47 PM

If it's daily daycare, then I think it's reasonable.

As for what you think she owes you for your childhood... I think you honestly should seek some therapy.  You need to get past that.  I did more raising of my sisters than I should have, and I was angry about it, but now I'm passed it.  I'm an adult and have kids on my own, I need to be looking at now, not my childhood.

abra
by Abra on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM
I agree with this.

Quoting kirstina:

If they are watching them while I work then I pay. When we go out for a few hours then no I dont pay. If its all night we pay.
alandou
by April on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:55 AM
3 moms liked this

In my family and our situation, no, we shouldn't have to pay and I wouldn't expect anyone to pay me. It's family. Family should be there for you when you need help and if they don't want to, then just don't bother with them. That's just how we feel in our family.

Yurixsi
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:01 AM
My mom does not babysit she did her job raising me. She should not have to raise my kids. They spend time with her just that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN