Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

grandparents charging to babysit?

Posted by   + Show Post

do u think they should?

my mom charges us and i kinda think its B.S b/c i raised my brother was robbed of my childhood and didnt get paid!!! she says how much she loves her time with him so why charge me? doesnt she remember the hell she put me thru?!?!

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Replies (31-40):
Tranla
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM

If it's an every day daycare situation, it's fair to pay.  If it's a once in a while thing, it should be about getting to spend time with them, not gettng paid.  In the latter situation, you could try saying you found someone cheaper and don't neeer service anymore.  Maybe then she'd start volunteering to watch them to spend time with them.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

mylilprincesses
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM
If it was every day then yea but as I see it getting to see my children is a privilege then no.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM

If she put you through so much hell...why are you trying to get her to babysit? 

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM

If they are watching  every day. then yes.

They could be putting that money aside to give back to you when your child reaches a certain age. You never know.

I wouldn't ask the grandparents to watch my son without offering money. They have lives too, and they aren't built in baby sitters.

I helped raise my brothers as well. It just helped me to grow up. Gave me a lot of lessons... blah blah. I never considered it to be a bad thing. Now, I don't know how much you were doing so I can't comment on that. But for myself, I still had a childhood.

CafeMom Tickers
Owl_Feather
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Total bs!!! They should consider it time spent with FAMILY which is PRICELESS
Monica_0812
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM
I think it depends if they do it often is the right thing but to pay. But if it's only once in a while why would they want to get pay for spending quality time with their grandbaby(s).
My mom doesn't see my kids but on weekends only because she works but I never just leave them for her to take care of them she spends time with them like a grandma supposed to do. Same for my in-laws.
notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I think it depends. If she is watching him on a daily basis providing care while you work, yes. If it's just for a night out, I think that is really weird and not at all family like. I am a SAHM so I don't need daycare but I have never paid anyone to watch my kids. It's always been family, a few times close friends or neighbors but never paid.

1stpreggers
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM
I have the same situation and I don't pay, if she asked then I would take him to someone else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Salem2012
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:00 PM

My mother in law has offered to watch ds if we pay her.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not something that's done in my family. I'm from a big family. I watched all my cousins and now my aunts are always offering to baby sit for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)