Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

grandparents charging to babysit?

Posted by   + Show Post

do u think they should?

my mom charges us and i kinda think its B.S b/c i raised my brother was robbed of my childhood and didnt get paid!!! she says how much she loves her time with him so why charge me? doesnt she remember the hell she put me thru?!?!

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Replies (41-50):
Allebas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:58 PM

My mom and my MIL have NEVER EVER charged us for babysitting our kids!!! For my mom, I empty her dishwasher, hang up her clean clothes, sweep her floor, take care of her cat and dog when she's out of town, do her grocery shopping for her, pick up her medicine for her, etc., etc!

My MIL, my older son will go over to her house and babysit my SIL's daughter every once in a while. Yesterday DH, and our 3 oldest boys went out and cut back blackberry bushes for her. My DH has fixed her dryer for her numerous times. My MIL does not watch our 2 youngest on a 'daily basis.' She will have our youngest who just turned 5 in January about 5-10 days out of the month depending on her schedule at work. Next year, my MIL will have our DD even less, b/c DD will be in all-day Kindergarten. Our DD and our youngest son usually spend one or two Friday nights per month at my MIL's house. My mom lives right behind our house, so our DD and youngest son come up here quite frequently, and my mom LOVES IT!!

937mrsweaver
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:33 PM

she watches him 4 hours a day 2 days a week

and for the people saying why do i leave my son with her if she was so bad? well people change this has been 10 years ago! i would nebver leave my son with anyone i didnt trust!!!

thanks for everyones input!

937mrsweaver
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM

so i need therapy b/c i said i raised my brother and i didnt have a childhood? hmmm wonder how u get that! i was simply stating a fact lady!!! and im def looking forward i think u need to watch what u say when u have NO idea what ur talking about who u are talking about and the situation

have a wonderful day!

Quoting Marimaru:

If it's daily daycare, then I think it's reasonable.

As for what you think she owes you for your childhood... I think you honestly should seek some therapy.  You need to get past that.  I did more raising of my sisters than I should have, and I was angry about it, but now I'm passed it.  I'm an adult and have kids on my own, I need to be looking at now, not my childhood.

jellybeanjean
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

My mother babysits very irregularly, but the last time I asked her she requested money. I think it's a little greedy since its really infrequent...it's not like she even needs extra money, and it makes me feel like she doesn't want my DD around her...anyway now we take DD to my inlaws lol. They are happy to babysit, infrequently and free of charge OR complaint!

MamaCatShively
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:22 PM

My grandparents were able to take my daughter one day a week until my Grandpa got sick when she was about 18 months old and then that one day transitioned to my MIL because she isn't working.  She keeps her over night so my husband and I can have time to ourselves which is a blessing.  Neither of them asked us to pay for their time since we have a regular babysitter four days a week and now my daughter is in school.  They are watching her because they enjoy it and to help us save a little money.  If however it was five days a week while my husband and I were both working I would want to get them some money for the things they would be doing and for the gas etc.  I always made sure both groups had diapers and such when my daughter still needed them but no money was exchanged other than that.

LILTIGERS
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:31 PM
I don't think should pay if its once and awhile..but if they are you sole daycare provider while you work then yes..I offer my mom $ or ask her if she needs gas just cuz she does so much..she does it cuz she loves us not for $..she might take it if she's really need it..but that's what family do..help each other..then when she gets paid she normally out spending $ on my daughter taking her to eat and picking her up so she can spend the night (she's 3yrs old..she loves her nanny!)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Caitlin10081989
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:20 PM

No, I do not think that grandparents should charge to babysit. 

Alejandra10
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM
My mom doesn't charge me when its like a one day thing or when she takes them for the weekend if it was for her she would come get them every weekend lol.like you when I was growing up I was always the one caring for my little brother my dad worked morning shift my mom worked second so after school I had to get him from the babysitter watched him until .my dad got home and well he was even more attached to me than my mom yeah I couldn't go out to the mall or stuff like that but I love my brother and I don't feel it was hell it was me helping my parents. I did work for three months and my mom babysat my kids he didn't charge me but every week I gave her 100 for my two kids a 4 yr old and a 2 jr old at the time. I was very thank full and loved my kids being with her than with a stranger plus it would of been way more expensive to leave them somewhere else. She never wanted to take it but I knew that since she wasn't working they were having a hard time plus she fed the kids during the day so I would always leave the money on a table or somewhere and after I left I would call her and tell her it was there lol it came to a point when every Friday she would tell me I was not aloud in the house lol so she would bring the kids out yeah I would just wait until she went in and would put it in her mail box just would text her saying you got mail lol
DragonMother10
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:41 PM
My parents would NEVER accept money to watch their grandchildren. It's not like I ask them all the time either, they both are still young enough to work. When I become a grandma, I wouldn't ask for money unless is what given to me to use on the grandkids. They are family, not an income.
Marimaru
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Most people need therapy.

But specifically, I think you need therapy to get passed any anger you have toward your mother about your childhood.  She likely did the best she could.  I spent a good 2 years with a good counselor to get passed some crap with my parent's divorce and having to do some of the raising of my 2 sisters as well.  

It wasn't meant as an insult at all.

Quoting 937mrsweaver:

so i need therapy b/c i said i raised my brother and i didnt have a childhood? hmmm wonder how u get that! i was simply stating a fact lady!!! and im def looking forward i think u need to watch what u say when u have NO idea what ur talking about who u are talking about and the situation

have a wonderful day!

Quoting Marimaru:

If it's daily daycare, then I think it's reasonable.

As for what you think she owes you for your childhood... I think you honestly should seek some therapy.  You need to get past that.  I did more raising of my sisters than I should have, and I was angry about it, but now I'm passed it.  I'm an adult and have kids on my own, I need to be looking at now, not my childhood.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN