Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

New mom. My baby will not poop. Advice?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM
  • 21 Replies

Hello. My son who is just over 4 months has not been able to #2 in almost a week. This is not normal for him at all. He was a daily pooper. I do breastfeed. I ate alot of toast and too many cookies but that was only diet change.

Can we give him some water as some people have told us to do? What are pros and cons? He had has nothing except breastmilk at this point.

He is still a happy baby. I cant notice any discomfort. Sat will be the 7th day and i am worried. Can i drink some prune juice? Would that really help him?

Any advice or info would be great.

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:13 PM
If he's only getting breast milk, up to two weeks is normal :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Try some.. I wanna say its called gripe water. Or a suppository (i hate those things)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:15 PM
It's normal for breastfed babies to go weeks without poop. Really, there's nothing wrong, his body is just absorbing so much from your milk that there's not much waste.

No water, that's a seizure risk at this age.
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't do this!

He's not constipated, and he's still happy. He doesn't need a suppository, and gripe water is for gas.

Quoting sahmw2010:

Try some.. I wanna say its called gripe water. Or a suppository (i hate those things)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Eliots_momma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Do not give him water!

This is normal in breastfed babies. Bm is almost fully absorbed so there isn't much waste. Bm is also a natural laxative so it is very rare for an ebf infant to be constipated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
occumommy
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:17 PM
This, but if you are really worried, call the ped, they would prefer you call and make sure than let it go :)

Quoting Randi02:

If he's only getting breast milk, up to two weeks is normal :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:19 PM
If it keeps going a few more days and he starts to seem uncomfortable or in pain, you can give him a small bottle of diluted prune or pear juice. The last time my son went more than a week without pooping, he had lots of gas and wasn't sleeping well and I have him pear juice and he pooped within an hour of starting the bottle. I think he only drank 3 ounces of it.
Curlz12
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:19 PM

We were almost in panic mode. When should we be concerned? Now it seems like im over reacting but i am still worried for some reason.

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:19 PM
If he is BFing that's normal. Do not give him water. He isn't constipated. I'm pretty sure gripe water is for gas/colic?
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Ok, so wa wrong about gripe water. But she said he was a daily pooper and now hasnt had a movement in a week. So yes, he could possibly be constipated. We arent there to see what her baby is doing. I stand by the suppository if she feels he needs it.

Quoting Randi02:

Don't do this!

He's not constipated, and he's still happy. He doesn't need a suppository, and gripe water is for gas.

Quoting sahmw2010:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)