Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

My baby doesn't like to sleep on his own

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:53 PM
  • 12 Replies
My baby loves being held and would only go to sleep when he's held. He falls asleep on me after every feeding and as soon as I put him down in the crib, he wakes up and starts making noises. And if I don't pick him up, he'll start crying. I'm unable to get any sleep at night because I have to hold him for him to go to sleep. What should I do? He's 4 weeks old btw.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Look up safe cosleeping practices, lay him down next to you, then get some sleep. He's very normal, welcome to the club.
xredstarsx
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:12 AM
My 9 week old has never slept without me. He was with me for 9 months and still needs my comfort.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Blue_Spiral
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Wow, only 4 weeks!? That's extremely normal.

He is supposed to be sleeping next to your body at this point.

Use your instincts, be sensible about it, and as the previous momma said, look up safe cosleeping practices.

And, find a baby sling that you can keep him in (and nurse in!) while you're getting other stuff done.

There will be times when you can't wear him, yes, and that's okay, but just try to limit it.

bear.katten
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:16 AM
Co-sleeping fixed that for us! I'd just side lie and then not have to move him at all :)
Brandy85412
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this

hold him they aren't that tiny for long!

candicemoss
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:39 AM

put a playpen by your bed and hold his hand while you guys fall asleep. my baby just got out of it at 3 mon.

gobytt
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Good to know that this is normal :) I've tried co-sleeping before and he did sleep better..just thought I'd train him to sleep on his own but guess I can do the co-sleeping longer if that's what he likes :)

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Look up safe cosleeping practices, lay him down next to you, then get some sleep. He's very normal, welcome to the club.

gobytt
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Thanks will try the baby sling :)

Quoting Blue_Spiral:

Wow, only 4 weeks!? That's extremely normal.

He is supposed to be sleeping next to your body at this point.

Use your instincts, be sensible about it, and as the previous momma said, look up safe cosleeping practices.

And, find a baby sling that you can keep him in (and nurse in!) while you're getting other stuff done.

There will be times when you can't wear him, yes, and that's okay, but just try to limit it.

xomrs.chase
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Ds was like that. We took turns rockng him.
Blue_Spiral
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Most people say cosleeping should start around 6 months, and no sooner than 4, so at this point you are doing no damage by keeping him close to you.

In fact, it does the opposite of harm. 

Good luck :)

Quoting gobytt:

Good to know that this is normal :) I've tried co-sleeping before and he did sleep better..just thought I'd train him to sleep on his own but guess I can do the co-sleeping longer if that's what he likes :)

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN