Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Stomach or Back?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:21 PM
  • 26 Replies
My 5 week old doesn't like sleeping on his back he will wake up every time. When we put him on his tummy he'll sleep for 4 or 5 hours. Is it safe?How many moms put there little ones on there tummy? Also we are scared about the SIDS but that's the only way he and we can get sleep.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
clusterkid
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this
My son passed away in 2010 it was declared SIDS we put him to bed on his back and sometime during the night he rolled to his stomach. If this is the only way your child will sleep take other precautions such as no blankets or any stuffed animals in bed with them! Make sure when they are on their stomach they can turn their heads on their own that way you decrease the chance of rebreathing.
Renell
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:48 PM
See that is very scary to me. Even with him sleeping on his tummy now I check on him every 10 minutes. It drives me crazy.
occumommy
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Ds 2 refused to sleep on his back too, i did put him on his belly to sleep but as clusterkid said make sure there is nothing else in the crib, no bumpers, no pillow, no blanket. It has a tight fitting sheet, and the baby should be all thats in the crib. And make sure he can move his head from side to side. I know how terrified you are. I was too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squeakers2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
It is best to put them on their back. My 5 month old son HATES being on his back. He bedshares with me and I would lay him on his side as a compromise. Occasionally I would lay him on his belly if he was in the basinet and I didn't leave his side. Now that he's rolling over, he will roll to his belly if he wants. The chances of SIDs drops when they start rolling, BUT it can still happen. Baby should always be laid down with no blankets, pillows, crib bumpers or stuffed animals near him, dressed comfortably (don't over dress him bc he doesn't have a blanket. Overheating can cause SIDs. Rule of thumb is dress him how you would), and, if he takes one, lay him down with his pacifer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Renell
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Thank you ladies for your advice. Appreciate it.
Mrs.Velasquez
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this
We did put them on there back. Once they learned to roll over on there own we let them sleep however was comfortable for them.
36WeekTwinsMom
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:37 PM
2 moms liked this
My B/G Twins are 7 wks old and they BOTH HATE sleeping in their back. I also let them sleep on their tummy! I would really get no sleep if I forced them to sleep on their backs! When we co sleep they sleep in their side! I know the SID risk is sooooo scary but I make sure there is nothing that can bunch up to their faces :)
mommyhonu
by Mary on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM
With my oldest drs told me to have baby sleep on his back. With my middle they told me to place him on his tummy and with my youngest they said on his back. It gets confusing at times. Have you thought about maybe laying baby on their side?
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids always slept on their backs
Renell
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:44 PM
He was sleeping on his side using the boppy pillow but he started moving to much. Unless you can give me a better suggestion or way. He's a wiggle worm...lol.

Quoting mommyhonu:

With my oldest drs told me to have baby sleep on his back. With my middle they told me to place him on his tummy and with my youngest they said on his back. It gets confusing at times. Have you thought about maybe laying baby on their side?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)