Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

How can I teach my 14 mo old to be gentle with his 3 wk old baby sister???

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:37 PM
  • 7 Replies
He is very loving and accepting. But he likes to try and touch her face. Especially her eyes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Would he understand if you said nice touches only or be gentle?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:26 PM

The best way to teach is by example. I'd usually take my toddler's hand and use it to gently stroke the babies arm and say "gentle" in a soothing voice. Just keep an eye on them and they usually get the idea eventually. :-) 

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

kirstina
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Tell him gentle gentle and take his hand help him do gentle touches. I would tell to touch her arms and not her face.
jessicaaris
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Just continue to reinforce no touching or to be gentle. Been there, my girls are 12 months apart.
Smiley2690
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:52 AM

My 1st daughter was going to be turning one 3 weeks after my newborn was born. When I was pregnant I would take her hand and gently rub my stomach while saying "be gentle". When my newborn was born I did the same thing except I rubbed her hand on the baby's leg.They are now 17 months and 5.5 months old and my big girl walks up to my 5.5 month old and rubs her leg in the same spot lol. But since they are still so little you have to keep the newborn in a spot where the toddler cannot reach her. He will still have moments where he gets curious so if you are not watching do not leave her in his reach. If you are watching and he walks over to her just keep reinforcing "be gentle". I thought it would be hard but my daughter did great. Good luck and congrats on the newborn!

me-n-mygirls
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:57 AM
I do what they do...
reiterate "gentle" and if they start to get rough make it a big "owie".
We dont allow touching eyes or mouth. point but no touch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SMTCMMoore
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:03 AM
I laughed reading this I'm so sorry! Bit seriously, I just kept mine away from each other for a while, they don't get it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN