Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Silent sister. Update.

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM
  • 14 Replies

So my DD is 9 months old. She doesn't talk at all. She laughs, giggles, and shrieks but no words.

When she's really mad it SOUNDS like she's screaming mama or dada but otherwise nothing that sounds like a word.

Is this normal? I distinctly remember my other saying at least one word at this age regularly.

Update: DH went to pick her up out of her crib yesterday morning and she said momma. I didn't really believe him, but today she was sitting in the floor and I asked her what she was doing just to make her giggle and she started babbling and say it again for me to here her. Clearly a momma and different from the babble she was doing.. So happy. My oldest said dada first.

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rbailey2414
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I am not too sure about what age they 'should' start saying words, but I think you are still OK at this age. :)

abra
by Abra on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM

It's too early to be concerned about that yet. Some kids speak early, and others take their time. :-) It's no big deal. 

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM

It's still way too early to be concerned. Some kids just take a little while longer to find their voice. If they're still not talking much by two, then they start to look into it. Even then, it doesn't mean much many times. I have a brother who barely talked until he was almost five. He understood, but said little. Then one day he just started talking, full sentences and properly. Some kids are just different!

kmr1217
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM

My DD will be 9 months on the 28th and she doesn't say any distinctive words yet.  She babbles all the time though and grunts so she's communicating in her own way at this point!  I agree, not a concern because I know it will come with time.

aniters
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM
I think thats too young to start worrying about talking. Ny 15 month old only says words with the b or p sound. He just started saying mama yesterday lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mama-smurf
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM
My son didnt start talking til 3 years old. I wouldn't worry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Yea, definitely no need to worry.    My DD will be 9 mo on saturday and she doesn't talk either.   I think I would be a little shocked if she did!  

occumommy
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:46 PM

if you are worried about it, have a chat with the pedi. most likely they will tell you not to worry about it.

Zazayam
by Nicki on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Yep, normal. Every baby's different and it's way too early to be concerned :)

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:15 PM

It's normal. I wouldn't worry just yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)