Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Update 3/28 Picture***** I need some serious help for this rash

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:16 PM
  • 135 Replies

EDIT -3/28/13
Hey ladies! Just an update. The a&d ointment worked wonders!!!! The rash was almost completely gone. Until today.... Ugh ugh ugh..... It showed up full blast again after going just 12 hours without the prescription cream. When I picked her up from day school they told me how red it was. It also had bumps that were raised all over the top part. Her bottom looked fine. Our doctor told me the reason it looked like this picture was because something in her poop (diarrhea) was literally burning her bottom. Since that went away she hasn't had an issue with her bottom.

As soon as I got home I called her doc and he called in more of the prescription cream since I was almost out. I had a small amount to put on it so I did that and then put the a&d ointment over it. She laid down for her nap. When she woke up it looked a lot better. Not as red and the bumps were settling down if that makes sense. I am just so sick of dealing with this crap. Blah.

It all started almost SIX WEEKS ago. Yes it's been that long. For the first week I tried the normal creams and when that didn't work I took her to the dr. We determine yeast infection and got nystatin. We tried that for 2 weeks and while it did seem to help, it would never clear it. Let me also say that for the past 5 weeks it has been nothing like this. Only about 20% of this. It would be almost gone and then come back a little more and a little worse than past time. We tried hydrocortisone cream as the dr suggested and nothing.

Back to the doctor we went. We got a prescription for nystatin and triamcinolone cream mix. Again it would never fully go away. Well she got sick last Saturday and had lots of vomit and diarrhea. My entire family got it Monday. We are all recovering but she still has diarrhea. Her but has now looked like this for 6 days. It's actually getting a little worse.

We have her in undies except at nap and bed time. I am using the cream 3 times a day as told and using desitin like crazy. We are all so tired of dealing with this and seeing her in pain. I've put in another call to we doctor but I'm turning to anyone who will listen at this point. Something has got to make this go away. Any thoughts?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by Abra on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM

poor baby. How acidic is her diet?

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:20 PM

That looks like yeast, but Nystatin is probably the worst way to treat it.  I would go get some Lotrimin AF (the athlete's foot stuff) and use that.  And at this point, I would also get some hydrocortizone cream and use that as well.  You can alternate them each diaper change or mix them together and use them at the same time.

SindieNunez
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Awe poor baby :( ! Try putting some Vaseline too, hopefully it help
MommyShanna2011
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

My DS ended up with a rash like that a few months back. Not QUITE that bad, but it was starting to look like it was getting there. I decided that if it didn't start to clear up within a week of whatever day when it started to really alarm me, I would call the doctor.
I stopped using the destin because I swear it was getting worse with it. I had been letting him sit in a bath at least once (sometimes twice) per day and then air dry after toweling off. After I gave up on the destin, I kept with the bath and bare-butt routine and added vaseline instead of the rash cream. I swear it made all of the difference. 3 days later it was almost completely gone.
So in short, warm baths, air drying, and VASELINE.

HeathersRich
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:57 PM
2 moms liked this
Mix Desatin, with Malox and Vagisil. It was recommended by a friend who's doctor told her to use it when the prescription stuff didn't work. It worked great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roomfor1more
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd have your Dr. so a culture test..that could be a staff infection & those creams will not clear that up.  

-mamas-
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Coconut oil!! I put it on any rash ds has and it's gone within a day.
pittymama
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:47 PM

coconut oil or mylanta. i've seen a lot of other moms SWEAR by regular mylanta on a rash as bad as that. melody was prescribed nystatin and it makes it 10x worse. she gets really bad teething rash like that. you could try aquaphor/vaseline and leaving her diaperless as long as possible during the day.

robbinsroost
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM

DS had one that looked like that, but smaller. We treated with Lotramin AF.

addiesmommy1109
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Bactroban. My oldest used to get staph diaper rashes and they looked just like this
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN