Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby blues? deppresion?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:22 AM
  • 9 Replies
How do I tell the difference? And how do I fix it?......
I feel sad, stressed, annoyed and over whelmed all at once! I'm a mom of 5 so my life is pretty chaotic and I try to talk myself thru the day so I don't loose it mentally. Add the constant headache that I've had since having the baby and my jaw pain (it was broken a few years back so I have wires inside holding it together)I'm just a complete wreck no matter what I've tried to do to make myself feel better! I'm sorry if none of this makes sense I just needed to vent and honestly I have no one IRL to talk to =/.....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Allebas
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:24 AM

If you've just had a baby recently, it is probably the baby blues. I know I had post partum depression REALLY BAD after my first baby! I cried about everything!! It was horrible! You should talk to your Dr. They can put you on antidepressants that will help!! Good luck!!

SarineLewis
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:09 AM
Be careful if you do go to the dr. Some meds they suggest are good while breast feeding (both that my dr suggested).
I had ppd bad with my first. Never went to the dr. It lasted about 3 months! This time around only a few days of constant crying. I still feel overwhelmed sometimes. Message me if you want to talk!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rwebb11
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:24 AM
I didn't have ppd, but I see the difference as a constant feeling versus random feeling. To me my baby blues was a random moody moment once a day or every few days. This went away around 4weeks pp. I hope you get whatever help you need. Congrats on your new little one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xomrs.chase
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:32 AM
DSM IV

Advertisement  Advertisement

DSM-IV Diagnosis*

The DSM-IV does not recognize postpartum depression as a separate diagnosis; rather, patients with a diagnosis of postpartum depression must meet the criteria for both major depressive episode and the criteria for the postpartum onset specifier. Criteria for Postpartum Onset Specifier: Onset of major depressive episode must be within 4 weeks after delivery.Criteria for Major Depressive Episode:
Five (or more) of the following symptoms have been present during the same 2-week period and represent a change from previous functioning; at least 1 of the symptoms is either 1) depressed mood or 2) loss of interest or pleasure. (Note: Do not include sysptoms that are clearly due to a general medical condition, or mood-incongruent delusions or hallucinations.)Depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day, as indicated by either subjective report (eg, feels sad or empty) or observation made by others (eg, appears tearful)Markedly diminished interest in pleasure in all, or almost all, activities most of the day, nearly every day (as indicated by either subjective account or observation made by others)Significant weight loss when not dieting or weight gain (eg, change of more than 5% body weight in a month), or decrease or increase in appetite nearly every dayInsomnia or hypersomnia nearly every dayPsychomotor agitation or retardation nearly every day (observable by others, not merely subjective feelings of restlessness or being slowed down)Fatigue or loss of energy nearly every dayFeelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt (which may be delusional) nearly every day (not merely self-reproach or guilt about being sick)Diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness, nearly every day (either subjective account or as observed by others)Recurrent thoughts of death (not just fear of dying), recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan, or a suicide attempt or a specific plan for committing suicideThe symptoms do not meet the criteria for mixed episode (p. 365 DSM-IV)The symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioningThe symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (eg, a drug of abuse, medication) or a general condition (eg, hypothyroidism)The symptoms are not better accounted for by bereavement, ie, after the loss of a loved one, the symptoms persist for longer than 2 months or are characterized by marked functional impairment, morbid preoccupation with worthlessness, suicidal ideation, psychotic symptoms, or psychomotor retardation

*American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV TR (Text Revision). Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. 
xomrs.chase
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:33 AM
Sorry it copied strangely

http://www.mededppd.org/dsm.asp

Raeann11
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM

If you feel you are depressed talk to you Dr about all this. It could be baby blues or depression. For me I got the baby blues for two to three weeks with all my girls within the first month. My second it never went away so I went to my Dr and talked the her about it. With my second it was really bad. My first I wanted a long time before I went in. My third I just got the baby blues.

I hope you feel better soon. HUGS

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Baby blues last briefly and depression goes on. I had PPD (not after every birth) but I felt like a different person. If you ever need to talk to someone I'm here but your best bet is to see a doctor.

abra
by Abra on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I had pretty severe ppd after each one of my 4 kids were born. It can develope anytime in the first 12 months post partum and last for the first year. 

The difference is basically, just feeling moody or down vs being overwhelmed, depressed, weeping, and changes in sleep habits (which is tricky to diagnose if you have a newborn).

I treated mine both naturally and medicinally. Feel free to message me if you think I can help.

((hugs))

.....Ophelia Grace...............Mira Lorne...............Jude Bennett.........Liam Daniel Baines.

mamabear1111
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you mommas for all your input. I think when I go in for my 6 week check up I'll talk to my dr about what's going on. I'm usually the "rock" for everyone around me to lean on and it's hard for me to ask for help, but I'm realizing that it's time I get something for myself taken care of..thank you again!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)