Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

making your own baby food

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:59 AM
  • 16 Replies
DD is 6 months. As per doctor we started with some food at 5 and I made apple cereal and then banana cereal. Now she's trying out sweet potatoes.

I'm all set up. I bought a 2 tier steamer, baby bullet and I have 16 plastic baby food jars for storing the food.

My question is, what foods don't keep well in the freezer? I found out that butternut squash separates inbthe freezer once its pureed. So far the potafoes sseem OK. The cereal did well in the fridge but I haven't froze any yet.

Also once we get through the standard 4 day per food for allergy checks, what are some good combos?

After the sweet potatoes we will move on to avacado. I don't likebthem but I heard they are good for babies.

Any other baby food tips from you ladies who make your own?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mollysmom328
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:08 AM

BUMP - sorry, I can't help I never used baby food

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM
No need to make purées. Just give small pieces of real food and let baby decide how much to eat. It's called baby led solids.
NightShade19
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:24 PM
At 6 months?

I think ill stick with purees.

Quoting Junebaby18:

No need to make purées. Just give small pieces of real food and let baby decide how much to eat. It's called baby led solids.
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM
That's how my daughter started at 6 months. If they aren't able to chew, they aren't ready for solids.

Quoting NightShade19:

At 6 months?

I think ill stick with purees.

Quoting Junebaby18:

Hi_Rae
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Bump.

Im no help, ds HATED purees. He's been on table food from the start.
bebe_ju-rah
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:29 PM
We do baby led solids. If they can't chew they shouldnt have solids. The cave women didn't have baby bullets. Lol
frankiesma530
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I've only done bananas and apples so far.  The bananas turn real dark but still taste good.  I'm hoping to move on to other foods soon but the bananas is all he really wants.

NightShade19
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM
To each their own. Baby led solids isn't something I'm comfortable doing.

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

We do baby led solids. If they can't chew they shouldnt have solids. The cave women didn't have baby bullets. Lol
kss12
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Good choice, I wasn't either.
Baby led people also say that they will never learn to chew if you give them purées. I started my son on solids at 6 months.. He eats finger foods now and he's 13 months, I didn't start finger foods until he was 10 1/2 months- he chews just fine now :)
Mine loved sweet potato with everything.. Now not so much.
Here's some combos we did:
Banana and avocado
Sweet potato and apple
Pear and pea
Spinach and nectarine
Peach and plum
Some of these foods have too much of a watery consistency but all froze well, I microwaved then for 30-45 seconds and they were ready to eat. If they were too watery I just added organic oatmeal or barley cereal to make it a little easier on the spoon.
Good luck! Any other questions let me know! I'm now seasoned in all things baby food :)

Quoting NightShade19:

To each their own. Baby led solids isn't something I'm comfortable doing.

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

xredstarsx
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Baby led solids here too. Hope you find some good stuff. Also as far as I know avocado gets gross frozen. Even mashed in the fridge it will turn brown unless a little lemon juice is added.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)