Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Low birthweight...do they ever catch up?

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:16 AM
  • 16 Replies
My sweet boy weighed only 4 lbs 14 ozs when he was born at 38 weeks. He was almost induced due to low amniotic fluid but I went into labor before then. Nothing ever indicated he'd be tiny, but I did always measure a week behind (Medicaid only pays for one u/s so that was also a factor in us not knowing).

At his appt in late February he weighed 8lbs 3ozs, and now I feel he's around 10 lbs. We were told he'd always be small, but I was wondering if anyone else's low birthweight or preemies ever caught up to their fellow babies? (I myself was 10 weeks early and 3 lbs 10 ozs and am now 5'8" and 140 lbs so I guess I certainly did haha)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iansmommy9
by Natasha on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I've not had a premie myself, but 2 family members did. Both caught up with weight and development by the time they were 2 or 3. Both were closer to 6 or 7 weeks early.

boshs1andonly
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:42 AM
My twin had both her kids around 37 weeks I remember she had low fluid with her dd not sure about her dd. They were both small and her dd continues to be small (she's 5 and fits in 2t). But she's very tall and otherwise healthy
preacherskid
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:51 AM

My 36 weeker was four pounds five ounces when she got home after a ten day nursery stay.  She is just over two years old and weighs about twenty three pounds.  We are small parents though, and her older sister is a thirty five pound roughly thirty eight inch four year old.  As long as he is healthy his size is fine, be it large, small, or average.

proudMom2634
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Yes,Just don't compare him in kids on the same age,.remember he is had been out earlier compared to others.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Yes, it takes time but they catch up
jeepygirl
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I've been told they typically catch up within 2 years. The NICU docs told me my little guy would probably catch up within a few months and he seems to be going that way. Mine was born at 37 weeks, weighing 3lbs, 14oz and 16.5 inches. I also had very low amniotic fluid and had to go c-section since he didn't even tolerate the very small beginning contractions. At 2 months, he weighs 9lbs 14oz and is 20 inches. So he's getting there. It also wouldn't surprise us if he was a bit smaller than others, simply because my family is small. I'm only 5'2", my mother is 5ft, my dad is 5"6. My grandmother and great-grandmother were under 5'.

lovely_latta421
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Thanks. He's really incredibly healthy. I just get tired of "he's so tiny!". I got "you're so small!" when I was pregnant so I'm ready to punch some folks. haha.
kaybri2012
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Mine was 5 pounds 14 ounces and he definitely caught up!  He's 8 months old and weighs about 20 pounds now, which is within the normal range for his age. 

ccb11806
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM
My 6 year old weighed 4 lbs 14oz. Now he weighs 40 lbs. He's extremely scrawny but that's the way he is built. My while family is small. I'm only 4 ft 11 in myself.
lovely_latta421
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:16 PM
That's how I was. I had to lay on my side because his heart rate kept dropping and he was born just in time to keep me from having one. I think he's doing really well, in my opinion.

Quoting jeepygirl:

I've been told they typically catch up within 2 years. The NICU docs told me my little guy would probably catch up within a few months and he seems to be going that way. Mine was born at 37 weeks, weighing 3lbs, 14oz and 16.5 inches. I also had very low amniotic fluid and had to go c-section since he didn't even tolerate the very small beginning contractions. At 2 months, he weighs 9lbs 14oz and is 20 inches. So he's getting there. It also wouldn't surprise us if he was a bit smaller than others, simply because my family is small. I'm only 5'2", my mother is 5ft, my dad is 5"6. My grandmother and great-grandmother were under 5'.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)